lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
cmar143
Gone Wild

Default 2007 drive trans slipping.

I came across an 07 drive that has something internally slipping. I disconnected the motor because I thought it was the splines at first but they are good and I could turn the input shaft with both wheels on the ground without moving the cart. The weird thing is that when I hold the brake in I can get the cart to move. I am not familiar with how these tranny's work since I haven't run across any issues with them but I am assuming they use some kind of clutch that is attached to the wet brake. Can anyone who has split one of these expand on how the drive system works and what may be wrong internally? Thanks
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
cmar143
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2007 drive trans slipping.

There are no yamaha techs in the forum here?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I would check your axle/hub nuts. They can come loose and stip the splines in the hubs, just like Ezgo's
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You will need a mirror for this inspection, On the beefy rib (Ummm, Ribs) facing the passenger side wheel, under the motor, wipe the dirt off on the side facing up. look for a tag about 1/2 inch wide, 2 1/2 inch wide with the axle part number, bar code, and axle serial number. a white tag is bad news (likely what you will find). Hope for a blue tag or green tag. the "white tag axle" had a soft intermediate gear (the gear between the input shaft and the final drive "ring gear"). They are known for this problem, i have seen only one other "input spins, output doesn't spin" that was not the intermediate shaft. It has no clutch, the brakes work like a motorcycle "wet clutch". but, even with totally hosed "metal-on-metal" brake friction disks, the cart will still drive. The "guts" of this axle are expensive, and the cheapest option is replace the complete axle (~ $960). The "blue tag" and "green tag" axles never have this problem as far as i know. I replaced many "white tags" under warranty. The "white tags" were only in early run cars ('07 - some '08 drives), and probably all out of warranty by now. :( Sorry for bad news.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
cmar143
Gone Wild

Thanks for the help. It has a white tag so I guess the cheapest option is replacing the entire trans. I forgot to mention its on a limo drive cart so the extra weight may not have helped the issue. Have you seen any roll pins in the guts that hold the gears in place? The way it slips is weird and exactly like a clutch does when it wears. Not any grinding or broken gear sounds that's why I ask. The most baffling thing is I can get the trans to grab and cart to move when I hold the brake down as I push the gas. I have never seen anything like it....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha