lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question 2004 Yamaha G22E ??

Greetings,

I was running through my neighborhood in my 1997 CC DS this morning and happened upon a garage sale. Out in front of it was a 2004 Yamaha electric for sale. I ran home, picked up my check book and returned. Folks were all over it, but I asked the new owner of the home, if it was still for sale. She said "yes" and I said "I'll take it." Needless to say, I received some evil stares, but it's now mine. Or rather, I purchased it for my wife. She always get the newest of any purchases. It was garage kept, beautiful, with a Sunbrella enclosure. It also has Trojan batteries.

I know nothing about Yammies, so I knew this was the best resource for assistance. Question no.1: It's 48 volts and has the tow switch. The motor has the round plug on it, with the wired pigtail coming from it. WHAT kind of system do I have?
Question no.2: I assume by the black plastic plug on the end that I can jack up the speed on it by replacing the "magnets?" Is that true?

It has 8" wheels on it, with the standard size tires, so I also assume that I can get a bit more speed by replacing the rear tires with taller ones? That's what I did with my CC DS and gained a bit of speed....at least it seems that way.

What ever information I can get will be appreciated. It's a pretty dark red car with some gold pen striping. Other than the wheels, I see very little bling I can install to make it any better looking. I might put a Harley Davidson logo on the front.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 2004 Yamaha G22E ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Greetings,

I was running through my neighborhood in my 1997 CC DS this morning and happened upon a garage sale. Out in front of it was a 2004 Yamaha electric for sale. I ran home, picked up my check book and returned. Folks were all over it, but I asked the new owner of the home, if it was still for sale. She said "yes" and I said "I'll take it." Needless to say, I received some evil stares, but it's now mine. Or rather, I purchased it for my wife. She always get the newest of any purchases. It was garage kept, beautiful, with a Sunbrella enclosure. It also has Trojan batteries.

I know nothing about Yammies, so I knew this was the best resource for assistance. Question no.1: It's 48 volts and has the tow switch. The motor has the round plug on it, with the wired pigtail coming from it. WHAT kind of system do I have?
Question no.2: I assume by the black plastic plug on the end that I can jack up the speed on it by replacing the "magnets?" Is that true?

It has 8" wheels on it, with the standard size tires, so I also assume that I can get a bit more speed by replacing the rear tires with taller ones? That's what I did with my CC DS and gained a bit of speed....at least it seems that way.

What ever information I can get will be appreciated. It's a pretty dark red car with some gold pen striping. Other than the wheels, I see very little bling I can install to make it any better looking. I might put a Harley Davidson logo on the front.
Congrats, the G22e is one the best Yamaha has built The "plug" is the motor sensor, it's used to tell the controller infor for "anti run away" and "regenative braking". I don't know of a magnet change that will change anything. A Yamaha dealer can change the regen setting for alittle more speed, but not much. If your car has a "GE" not a "Moric" controller you can change to a high speed motor to get about 23 mph. Larger tires will get you alittle speed, but not much. Metallic red is still one of my favorite color options. Since this is your wifes car....I'm shure there will be money available for upgrades
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Congrats, the G22e is one the best Yamaha has built The "plug" is the motor sensor, it's used to tell the controller infor for "anti run away" and "regenative braking". I don't know of a magnet change that will change anything. A Yamaha dealer can change the regen setting for alittle more speed, but not much. If your car has a "GE" not a "Moric" controller you can change to a high speed motor to get about 23 mph. Larger tires will get you alittle speed, but not much. Metallic red is still one of my favorite color options. Since this is your wifes car....I'm shure there will be money available for upgrades
Good point regarding my "wife's" cart finding a bit of extra funding for upgrades. I drove the cart a bit today, to add air in the tires and to pick up a few items at the grocery store. Hated the way it slows itself down on slopes and whenever I take my foot off the pedal. My old CC DS coasts freely. In this community, if you are not doing 20mph, you have old seniors passing you constantly. I will crawl under the cart tomorrow to see which controller it has. Most likely, I will invest in a faster motor or have this one rewound(?). It's a real well maintained cart, and looks new. About the only thing that looks to be immediate as far as maintenance is that it has a bit of acid on a couple of battery terminals. Otherwise they look clean.

I did find the following information:
Motor model number: 5BC59JBS6370 (which I guess is a GE motor?)

Thanks for the reply. I have been following this forum for several months now, and have really learned a lot. I have been learning on an old 1997 CC DS. A man has to have projects when he retires.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Good point regarding my "wife's" cart finding a bit of extra funding for upgrades. I drove the cart a bit today, to add air in the tires and to pick up a few items at the grocery store. Hated the way it slows itself down on slopes and whenever I take my foot off the pedal. My old CC DS coasts freely. In this community, if you are not doing 20mph, you have old seniors passing you constantly. I will crawl under the cart tomorrow to see which controller it has. Most likely, I will invest in a faster motor or have this one rewound(?). It's a real well maintained cart, and looks new. About the only thing that looks to be immediate as far as maintenance is that it has a bit of acid on a couple of battery terminals. Otherwise they look clean.

I did find the following information:
Motor model number: 5BC59JBS6370 (which I guess is a GE motor?)

Thanks for the reply. I have been following this forum for several months now, and have really learned a lot. I have been learning on an old 1997 CC DS. A man has to have projects when he retires.
GE motor, good sign you have a Ge controller You can take the service panel (below the sweater basket) to see what controller you have. Now, the Run/Tow switch will do several things. First, if you ever have to tow or push the car, PUT IN TOW, that will stop any carnage to the motor or controller (remember you have anti run away and regenitive braking features). Second, when cleaning battery terminals and cables, put it in Tow, it shuts off power to the controller. Lastly, these controllers are able to "shut down" to protect them selves if they feel something isn't right, if the car dies on you, put it in tow for 5 minutes, then back into run, 75% of the time it will run again. Witch charger did you get with the car?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good information, thanks. I appreciate it.

Which charger? It is a Yamaha 48 Volt with the charging lights down the left side and a reset(?) button on the right.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sounds like you have a GE motor/ GE controller combo, Nice. The cheapest speed upgrade i know of is a Alltrax DCX 400 controller. This alone will get you 24 mph, if it has stock gears now (currently 19mph or less). No motor swap required. If you have the newer style Moric controller, it can still be upgraded, just have to modify one main cable. Personaly, i recommend against HS gears, unless you use it on flat asphalt only.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

cgtech, do you have to program the Alltrax controller when you replace it? I replaced the controller in my CC DS as a swap from a 225amp to a 400 amp and didn't have to program it, but it only gave me more torque, but no additional speed that I can see. 20mph on the G22 would be great. I get a little bit more on the old CC DS, but that is a series cart.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The reason you would get 24 mph with a stock G22 is that it is a "sepex" system and the alltrax "unlocks" the speed that the stock controller wont allow you to have. As far as programming, i have found that although yamaha specifies it as a 0-5k throttle, it usually only reaches 4.7k at full throttle. I use a throttle map that alltrax calls "clubcar3.hex" to achieve 100% throttle, so to answer your question, i do often need to make one change to get full throttle (as opposed to 98% throttle).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
strip
Not Yet Wild

I also have a 04 Yamaha G22E and frustrated on the 12 MPH speed. I was thinking about getting a High Speed Motor when I return to the desert in the Fall. I did not know a new controller would get me to 24 MPH. What is better, a new controller or a new High Speed motor? I do not want to do both as it becomes too expensive. MDLNB if you replace the controller let us know how you make out. cgtech and smallblock450sl comments please.

thanks
strip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #10
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by strip View Post
I also have a 04 Yamaha G22E and frustrated on the 12 MPH speed. I was thinking about getting a High Speed Motor when I return to the desert in the Fall. I did not know a new controller would get me to 24 MPH. What is better, a new controller or a new High Speed motor? I do not want to do both as it becomes too expensive. MDLNB if you replace the controller let us know how you make out. cgtech and smallblock450sl comments please.

thanks
Wow, doing a bit of searching on-line seems to indicate that the Alltrax controller costs more than a Bandit motor. I think that if I can get more speed by simply upgrading to a different controller, I will go that way first. I can always upgrade the motor for additional benefit, IF we think there is a need. My wife doesn't need the speed most of the time anyway. It seems that I am the one that gets frustrated with having my proverbial doors blown off by passing seniors.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha