lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery drain

Sorry I can't, he just took the cart and charger. He said they'd stress test the batteries, but it may well be the charger is not working properly. We discussed the charger and the orange light for charging and the green light for charged. But I told him I'd never seen the green light on all the time, for me the green light was always blinking. Though I admit I never did leave it on overnight.

He agreed the batteries should not go from 50% to 100% charge in under 2 hours. We'll see what they come up with.

I've felt these guys have treated me pretty good, both on my trade and now this. It's over 40 miles roundtrip for them to come get the cart, and another 40 to return it. But then when you're in business the service you give mean more then anything if you want more business.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #22
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You probably have the same charger I have. Here is what I learned about it. When I plug it up the red light comes on then the orange light starts blinking indicating it is charging. After several hours the green light starts blinking. The batteries are NOT charged at this point. After a while the green light turns steady. Using my DVM, I found out the charger is still charging at 58-60 volts at that point. Later on the charger quit charging and the voltage went down to 51.5 volts.

There is a possibility if our chargers are the same or at least work on the same principal that if you are unplugging when the green is blinking, you are unplugging too early and your batteries are indeed not fully charged. Just sayin.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #23
reinman88
Gone Wild

That sounds like it could be. But when I unplug my charger and check the batteries they all test 13 volts at that time, which I assume is what they should test, and the pack is testing at 52 or 53 at that time. After 12 hours the batteries will be 12.6 or 12.7, which from what I've read is what they should read.

So are you saying those readings really don't mean anything because I am not testing under load at that time?

Of course all of this takes me back to what I've been doing since I got the cart last month. I'd make a 2 mile run and charge the batteries. It would take a couple hours for the green light to come on, but I figured it shouldn't take long to charge batteries if I only went 2 miles.

It's now when I know the batteries were testing 12.2 volt and it was still only taking 2 hours that got me thinking something is wrong.

Also I never got a manual for the charger, so until you said something earlier in this thread I didn't know the green light should stay on constant. The orange light would blink, so I thought the green light should blink too. We may be down to me just not leaving the charger on long enough.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Unless I am having a battery problem, I only concern myself with total pack voltage. A good DVM will help you. The things I look for is charging voltage at peak bulk charge phase at around 60 volts. Then I look for when the charge voltage falls to the 51/52 volt range. I know then that the charger is finished and I unplug it. After about 12 hours off the charger, I am looking for pack voltage of around 51 volts. ScottyB's chart says 50.96 is 100%.

After a ride, I recharge whether it is 1 mile or 10. My recharge point (after I let it rest for 15 minutes or so) is 49.5 volts.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #25
johnk4jmk
Getting Wild

Yamaha

your charger should take atleast 5-8 hours if you have alot of drain.if your light is showing greene in 2 hours or less something is not right,Look how long Olman is taking to charge and that is normal.60 volts right after a charge then after they settle doun about 51 is exactly the readings i get,I know it would cost you but i would concider going from 4 12's to 6-8's
johnk4jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
reinman88
Gone Wild

Well hopefully it was just me not letting the charger finish up and waiting for the blinking green light to go constant green. I have this thing about leaving stuff plugged in, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to it if I'm going to properly charge my cart.

On the 8 volt versus 12 volt batteries. I appreciate the 8s would be better, but the trade was made with the 12 volt batteries in there, and they are brand new. My driving time may not be as good with 12s, but most of the time I don't go over 2 or 3 miles between times when I can charge.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #27
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinman88 View Post
Well hopefully it was just me not letting the charger finish up and waiting for the blinking green light to go constant green. I have this thing about leaving stuff plugged in, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to it if I'm going to properly charge my cart.

On the 8 volt versus 12 volt batteries. I appreciate the 8s would be better, but the trade was made with the 12 volt batteries in there, and they are brand new. My driving time may not be as good with 12s, but most of the time I don't go over 2 or 3 miles between times when I can charge.
When I first got into electric carts it was the hardest thing for me to trust the charger and leave it plugged in. After a while you will come to trust it and leave it alone. The thing I have to get used to with the Yamaha versus the EZGO is switching to tow before I hook up the charger. I guess that is to protect the controller in case the charger takes a crap. Not sure but I guess I would be a dummy if I didn't follow Yamaha's instructions.

As far as 4 12's versus 6 8's---yes, 6 8's would give you more range. Not sure how much more range however. I would run those new 12's till they die with no problem at all. When they die--then decide how you want to go on the next set.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #28
reinman88
Gone Wild

With the short distance I drive each time and having plenty of opportunity to charge between drives, I'm hoping these batteries will have a long fruitful life. Hey if they last 7 years or so, I may just trade for another new cart when it comes time to change batteries again.

Is that like in the old days, when the ash tray got full it was time to buy a new car.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #29
johnk4jmk
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinman88 View Post

Well i guess i dont blame you at all if the batterys are that new,to make the change would be atleast 650.00.just for my interest how many cycles have you charged the batterys,cause if there that new your run times will improve
johnk4jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #30
reinman88
Gone Wild

Got the cart just before Memorial Day weekend. I have probably charged them a dozen times since then. But we're waiting to find out if I wasn't charging them long enough or the charger has a problem.

At this point in time I'm thinking I'm the one with the problem and not the charger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha