lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Starter Pulley Size

So I had my starter rebuilt. I finally have a semi running golf cart. But I have a question about the amps and the pulley. The guy that rebuilt it said he was barely pushing 1 amp out of it on his machine. He put a smaller pulley on it and said he pushed 25+. Now all the starters I've looked up online have a much smaller pulley than mine has.. Should I buy a smaller one and replace it? Or will that cause problems? Killing a battery is the last thing that I want right now so, please help me out here.
colu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Re: Starter Pulley Size

To add to this. Ive been running the cart now for awhile getting it warmed up. And after shutting it off. Doesn't want to turn over unless I have a battery charger hooked up on Start Mode. Now the battery is brand new and is testing 13.1 volts even after running and stopping.... I dont understand why its not starting?
Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
colu41
Getting Wild

3rd. lol. Anyways, I did a volt test to test the regulator. And the voltage I came up with means either the voltage regulator is bad, or the starter is bad. Now, that would instantly point me towards the regulator, but now it makes me think if that pulley on the starter is too big and its not putting out the amps it needs to charge the battery?
Old 09-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well you say it's hard starting and low on amps, a smaller pulley will help.
Find one the same as stock, the maker often knows best.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
colu41
Getting Wild

Well thats what I was asking. If a smaller pulley will affect anything since mine had the larger pulley.
I'll most likely have to get a smaller belt also since its a pretty sizable difference.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I remember the s/g pulley from my '86 KF82 motor was huge, and the s/g pulley from my '87 cart was much smaller. I never tried the older s/g with the large pulley though (since I didn't need it), I ended up selling it to a guy who put a smaller pulley on it because that's what came off the s/g he was replacing, and I'm pretty sure it worked fine for him.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
colu41
Getting Wild

ok. I believe it is causing a serious amp problem. I'll try it out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car