lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
grantspec
Getting Wild

Default Grantspec’s Yamaha G9 Rebuild

I picked up this old crusty G9 off of Facebook marketplace for what I though was a good deal ($400). Once I got it home and started going through it I quickly realized I would soon have triple that in parts into it. Oh well you win some you lose some. Half the fun of this stuff to me is the build. So here’s some pictures of what I’ve got so far! Here’s the cart on day 1.

I knew it had a bad rear clutch so I replaced that first up and did some general clean up of the motor. The good news is it ran ok. I also found the muffler to be falling apart so I bought an aftermarket replacement (wow that thing was pricey)

I then recovered the seats with some black vinyl covers from eBay (really nice quality)

After that and some test drives I realized there were more issues...

The front clutch was shot so I replaced that. It was leaking oil from the valve cover. Replaced the valve cover gasket. Did a general tune up - new filters, cleaned the air box, new battery connections, new motor mounts. New spark plug... uh oh the spark plug was cross threaded into the cylinder head. I was able to run a tap through it with grease on the threads to catch the shavings. Used a straw and vacuum cleaner to remove the rest of the shavings from the cylinder. The new spark plug threaded in great after this.

To be continued...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grantspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
grantspec
Getting Wild

Default Re: Grantspec’s Yamaha G9 Rebuild

I then set out to repair the wobbly front suspension. I noticed that the tie rods were shot and the left steering arm was bent and rubbing the tire. I really wanted to go through and remove the rust and tighten everything up.

Even had a little helper here!

Old 08-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
grantspec
Getting Wild

With the front suspension all sorted I knew it was time to take care of the brakes. I knew something was wrong but had no idea how bad. Once I took it apart it made me cringe to thing I was running down the road at 22 mph with no body panels on it, busted tie rods, and brakes that could fail at any moment [emoji23]

This little piece holds the top of the brake shoes. You can see one stud was broken completely off and the other is bent. So essentially this piece was loose inside the right brake and nothing was holding the pads. The drum was completely destroyed. Fortunately, I was able to save this piece by drilling out the studs and tapping new holes.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
grantspec
Getting Wild

Unfortunately I didn’t get any further pictures of the new brakes but I went back together with all new shoes and drums.

Here are some pictures of other miscellaneous repairs:

These studs were broken off causing the side pillar to be wobbly so I welded in new bolts.

There was a hole rusted through the back bumper so blobbed some bird turd welds together and ground them down flush.

The seat back had a crack at this hole so I welded it and ground it semi flush.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
grantspec
Getting Wild

Next was the largest task so far... Removing all of the old spray paint, prepping the body, and painting.

One member made a post about painting plastic bodies on this forum and I referred back to it many times. I used all summit racing brand adhesions promoter, 2k urethane primer, and single stage ultra blue metallic paint. I am by no means an auto body expert and this can count the number of times I’ve sprayed automotive paint on one hand. It’s far from perfect but I think it looks pretty darn good.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
grantspec
Getting Wild

Here it is after spraying the primer:

Much sanding later...

Finally a sunny day to lay down some color!

And this is the current state. Ready for reassembly. Being a father of two youngins my time is limited to work on the projects that I like to work on. But I sure can’t wait to get this thing back on the road and enjoy it.

Hope you all have enjoyed seeing my progress so far. Thanks to all the contributing members who share a common interest of helping people who love to tinker and build things.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
maxim1157
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Super job on that once faded out G9.. looks really good. I have a G2 that is lacking a paint job, I started with a $150 cart from a nice old lady at camp.. it wasn't running when I brought it home, it's taken me 2 yrs to get it in its current state.. I took it all the way down to the bare frame. Look for project G2 on the forum.. that is mine.
maxim1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
WVGOLFCART
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for sharing your build. Lots of good information. I guess I will have to get started rebuilding one of the 18 g2-g9 carts I have sitting around and see if I can get it in as good as shape as yours. I also like the color of paint you used. It stands out a lot better than the original white.
WVGOLFCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
grantspec
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim1157 View Post
Super job on that once faded out G9.. looks really good. I have a G2 that is lacking a paint job, I started with a $150 cart from a nice old lady at camp.. it wasn't running when I brought it home, it's taken me 2 yrs to get it in its current state.. I took it all the way down to the bare frame. Look for project G2 on the forum.. that is mine.

Thank you! I checked out your thread. That cart looks clean. Great job. And what a deal at $150.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #10
grantspec
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGOLFCART View Post
Thanks for sharing your build. Lots of good information. I guess I will have to get started rebuilding one of the 18 g2-g9 carts I have sitting around and see if I can get it in as good as shape as yours. I also like the color of paint you used. It stands out a lot better than the original white.

Wow 18 carts! At least you can pick and choose which parts are best. Mine was very rough to begin with but fortunately didn’t have significant rust. Only superficial I’ll rust here and there. I’m pretty happy with the color. My one regret is not doing a base/clear job. The single stage has a lot of orange peal and being a metallic it is not advised to wet and and buff. I used a base clear in a very similar color to paint the engine bay of my old project car and it came out amazing.

Hoping to get some time this weekend to work on the G9. My goal is to get it drive able again tomorrow.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha