lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: $300 to $400 and get 26 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Im happy that you feel that stock wiring and controller will carry you through for a period of time, BUT I MUST AGREE WITH ROBBY about wiring and controller up grades are NEEDED? I think that you should be sure and install a proper fuse into pack circuit for protection? After hearing all the problems with stock parts ( MINIMUM QUALITY FOR MINIUMUM COSTS ) I would feel that you better get GOOD INSURANCE before you go very far with the new motor only?
I would be more than happy to eat this page if within a year of normal operation you dont have at least one componant go bad.
OK Old Mec... I was reading some older threads and saw your comment about eating this page if I made it a year without having any component failure... It's now been 1 year and 3+ months... so what would you like to go with this page... how about we share a few beers???

Just kidding with ya... you know that!!!
I've watched and learned from many of your posts... great advice you give

PS... I did add #4 cables a month or so ago... !
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #22
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Scubabud- GUESS I WILL HAVE TO PRINT OUT THE PAGE AND SERVE IT WITH STEAK SAUCE? So glad, but still surprised that you have been able to get by with stock parts for this period of time. Have you done any cable, solenoid, etc temperature testing along the way? I would think that you would find higher than normal temps when running your Plum Quick motor up to speed, and this is why I felt that you would have problems? Living in a normally flat state makes for a lighter load on parts unless like some of my Texas locals you get out on the beach dune sand some? Unless you have made some other changes like going larger than your 20X10X10 tires, or adding a tall lift you are keeping the cart low profile which should keep your speed up and loads low.
Question with your motor are your recharges after runs seem to be shorter ( Oh I forgot that you may have done changeover before getting used to normal charge cycles ) It must have made a big difference Im sure over stock 3-4 hp motor?
Anyway I would be happy to share a 6 pack or ? anytime.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #23
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Scubabud- GUESS I WILL HAVE TO PRINT OUT THE PAGE AND SERVE IT WITH STEAK SAUCE? So glad, but still surprised that you have been able to get by with stock parts for this period of time. Have you done any cable, solenoid, etc temperature testing along the way? I would think that you would find higher than normal temps when running your Plum Quick motor up to speed, and this is why I felt that you would have problems? Living in a normally flat state makes for a lighter load on parts unless like some of my Texas locals you get out on the beach dune sand some? Unless you have made some other changes like going larger than your 20X10X10 tires, or adding a tall lift you are keeping the cart low profile which should keep your speed up and loads low.
Question with your motor are your recharges after runs seem to be shorter ( Oh I forgot that you may have done changeover before getting used to normal charge cycles ) It must have made a big difference Im sure over stock 3-4 hp motor?
Anyway I would be happy to share a 6 pack or ? anytime.
I would love to join you as well The stock controller only feeds 250 amps and you're right... all flat around here and I don't do any off road. I did just put on 4 gauge wires and plan on doing an upgrade very very soon I run my cart all out as well as cruising the Loops when I go camping at slower speeds, 10 mph or less, and never had any problems. I can get as much as 25 miles on a charge and down to 18 miles when Looping, that's taking the pack down to 48.4 volts. I've been told that if you stall going up a hill to back off right away from the throttle or you will burn out the motor. Also I have a 5" lift and 22" tires... since day one that came with the cart.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #24
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

WOOPS old age showing along with poor typing skills as well? typed 20"tires instead of 22". With that lift and tires size your need for Plumb Quick is evident. Like most you are not pushing the cart too hard except when able to get room for top speed.
I sure wish Texas would allow carts to be licensed for low speed roads like other states? Local police have warned locals that state will no longer honor street usage even if cart previously was passed? Several Obama low income to poor like me here in my park only have golf carts to get to doctors, grocery stores, pharmacy, etc and so far local cops are turning away and not seeing them on back roads into town, BUT HOW LONG???????
Old 05-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
scubabud

Club Car

I believe that if you have a valid street legal cart, based on your state law you have the right to drive on roads as long as you follow your state rules. Here is a couple of things I pulled up just now for Texas...

TEXAS Requires slow moving vehicles (which are defined as operating at a maximum speed of 25 mph or less) to display a "Slow-moving Vehicle Emblem" when operated on public streets and highways. Exempts such vehicles from the Safety Inspection Act. Requires these vehicles to be registered and titled.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has published safety guidelines in the United States which apply to vehicles operating in the 20–25 mile-per-hour speed range.[4] As of January 2007, twenty-five of the fifty states of the United States had passed legislation legalizing the use of low-speed vehicles on highways in the state.[4] By 2009, nearly all 50 states allow LSVs, also called NEVs, to drive on their roads. Either they follow FMVSS500 (25 mph top speed on 35 mph limit roads), or make their own more aggressive law. as of end of 2008, 9 states had made it legal to drive them 35 mph speed, most on 45 mph streets. In 2009, Texas has passed a new law (SB129) allowing them to drive 35 mph on 45 mph roads; California and New Mexico have proposed laws in their respective legislatures.

I'm assuming that you have to have a vehicle that can meet the Federal as well as State requirements such as seat belts, proper mirror's, windshield, wiper, etc., etc. Maybe it's the "Golf Carts" that the Police are warning will no longer honor street usage. Check into what's required to make your cart street legal in Texas and drive past the police and smile
Old 05-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #26
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for info will check again with state police as they are ones that put word out??You have to remember I am in Texas and they do everything different?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #27
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks for info will check again with state police as they are ones that put word out??You have to remember I am in Texas and they do everything different?

Good luck
Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #28
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was locally told that after fall of 2009 "NO golf carts or NEV's would be licensed in Texas" unless they were built with a registered Vin Number installed by commercial builder "AND" met all requirements such as seat belts, lights, horn, wipers, 4 wheel brakes, insurance, etc?
In a state where its legal to carry a gun and knife in public places and most "GOOD OLD BOYS" dont bother with drivers license and running with expired plates and insurance I guess I will do just like the rest and ignor the law until caught?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Texas Department of Transportation no longer registers Golf Carts and any that were will not be renewed after expiration. There are some TXDOT rules that regulate Golf Carts in areas near or within a golf course.

AUSTIN - A new state law instructs the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to stop registering and titling golf carts, but these owners won’t be stuck in their driveways.

The law takes effect September 1, 2009, and allows cities to regulate golf cart use in their communities

“While we will stop registering golf carts you will still be able to drive these vehicles on public roads, providing you follow the state laws governing golf cart operation,” said Rebecca Davio, director of TxDOT’s Vehicle Titles and Registration Division.

State law allows the use of golf carts with a slow-moving vehicle emblem in the following situations:

* in master planned communities with a uniform set of restrictive covenants in place,
* on public or private beaches,
* during the daytime and no more than two miles from where the owner usually parks the golf cart and for transportation to or from a golf course, or
* to cross intersections, including a road or street that has a posted speed limit of more than 35 mph.

“Cities also can allow golf carts with the proper equipment on certain roads, but you need to check with your city government to find out where or if they are permitted,” Davio said.

A city can pass a local ordinance allowing golf cart use on roads with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or lower. However, the golf cart must be insured and have the following minimum equipment:

* headlamps,
* tail lamps,
* reflectors,
* parking brake,
* mirrors, and
* a slow-moving vehicle emblem.

The state, a county, or a city can ban golf cart operation on all or part of a public road in the interest of safety.

Note: An exception for Grayson County allows for the issuance of Golf Cart License Plates.

More information on golf carts, neighborhood electric vehicles, all-terrain vehicles and recreational off-highway vehicles is available at www.txdot.gov or by contacting us.

The Texas Department of Transportation

The small city in which I live in Texas has a Golf Cart ordinance which allows exceptions in the city such as those mentioned in the TXDOT information. So far I do know that Foremost and Farmers will insure a golf cart.
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #30
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

DTKANA thanks for updated info I will try and get local police, city council ( IF I CAN FIND A ENGLISH SPEAKING-READING OFFICER AND CITY COUNCIL ) to review info and hopfully get city officials to make a ruling?? From experience they look the other way for non anglos BUT? Not to knock the police as they have a very hard job and spend most of their time in Spanish so I except the fact that I am a MINORITY HERE along the boarder and I have never been treated less than wonderful by ALL LOCALS. The culture should be an example of how a family cares for its own and buisness's are always polite and caring and trying to please while north of here its a dont give a **** what you want or need.
ANYWAY THANKS AGAIN.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car