lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
sgrol
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Brake Light Timeout Question

I have my light kit installed and working. Operating with 48-12 v reducer. When I hold down the brake the brake lights come on and then go off after several seconds. I believe that is in the design. The problem I am having is that they don't reset. In other words, after releasing the brakes, after the timeout has killed the power to brake lights, the brake lights don't function when pedal is pushed. I was expecting the timer to reset immediately. How is the power reset? I've tried cycling the key switch but no luck.
sgrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Brake Light Timeout Question

Cart has to be in run mode (assuming you have run tow switch) in order for switch to operate on most light kits. If you have an earlier cart that may be different.

I am assuming the cart is in run mode and the relay is getting the 48 volts needed, and then the timer is malfunctioning after it completes one cycle. I would replace the brake timer and I would bet the system works again. Either that or the relay in the dash/connected to the harness would be my two best guesses.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
crash test dummy

the time out is after 30 seconds ... you need to let it cycle through to the on position
Old 12-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
sgrol
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
Cart has to be in run mode (assuming you have run tow switch) in order for switch to operate on most light kits. If you have an earlier cart that may be different.

I am assuming the cart is in run mode and the relay is getting the 48 volts needed, and then the timer is malfunctioning after it completes one cycle. I would replace the brake timer and I would bet the system works again. Either that or the relay in the dash/connected to the harness would be my two best guesses.
Thanks Htown. I'm not using the 48v relay, just jumped the 12v wires together per Sergio's suggestion since my 48-12v reducer is key activated. So far the only way I have been able to reset the timeout module is to remove and reapply the 12v+ to it. Just don't know how it is supposed to work. The cart is 2013 Precedent. I need to figure out how to insert a signature.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
sgrol
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
the time out is after 30 seconds ... you need to let it cycle through to the on position
Not understanding this comment. The timer is timing out after 30 seconds and killing the lights. It is not resetting after that unless I physically remove 12v + from the time delay relay. I have turned off and then turned on the key switch, which should kill the 12v+ but doesn't work. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough to turn the switch on again?
Old 12-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
Not understanding this comment. The timer is timing out after 30 seconds and killing the lights. It is not resetting after that unless I physically remove 12v + from the time delay relay. I have turned off and then turned on the key switch, which should kill the 12v+ but doesn't work. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough to turn the switch on again?
it should reset
Old 12-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the timer relay is after the pedal switch so it losses +12v when the brake pedal is released.

If You don't have any other +12v load ON at the time your turn the key switch OFF, it may take a while for the Converter voltage to drop.

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
sgrol
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Make sure the timer relay is after the pedal switch so it losses +12v when the brake pedal is released.
That's where I am screwing up. Had 12+ on relay constant instead of switched through brake switch. Thanks Sergio.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car