lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
aft_cart
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v->12v reducer (30 amp) - wire gauge?

I picked up a volt-2002 48v->12v (30 amp) voltage reducer to install in my 2012 club car precedent. It looks like all of the wiring coming out of the voltage reducer is 16 ga. The included wire isn't long enough to run from the OEM reducer location in behind the front wheels to the battery compartment, so I need to extend the wires. I started doing some research on this site and found a couple of posts about it. One had the handy chart of amps and gauges related to distance of the wire. I also found a post where Sergio said the 12v+ line from the reducer should be 10 ga in case it even transfers a full 30 amps at once.

First question, is if thats the case, why did the reducer come with all 16 ga wire? And, secondly, whats the "cleanest" way to splice the 2 wires of different gauges together. If I splice that line into 10 ga wire, I'll still have about 8 inches of 16ga wire coming from the reducer to the connector/fuse that's already wired in. I think the total length of the wire is going to be around 3-4 feet. Just enough to get from the front install spot to the front of the battery compartment where I intend to install the fuse panel.

Any advice on the best (or more accurately, safest) way to use the wiring?
aft_cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48v->12v reducer (30 amp) - wire gauge?

You have to determine what will be the possible peak 12 volt load the reducer will be required to power simultaneously in amps. Once you have the amp load, use that table to determine the wire size. I installed a 30 amp reducer and used 14ga wire to extend to the fuse panel based on my 12 volt accessory amp load. The best method to splice the wires is to solder and seal with heat shrink tube.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The reason the Precedent OEM location for the converter is up front is because that is where it also connects to the harness.

It would be a lot easier if You got the harness tap for the 48v converter, I think the Volt-2003 comes with but You can probably order the "T-Harness" separately.

If You already installed a bucket harness for the rear lights, the converter plugs between that 12-pin connector and the dash harness on the passenger side of the dashboard.

You need to keep in mind the wire gauge by itself is not a good indication of how much current it can carry, the main factor in any application is the total resistance of the wire length.

The 16ga wire will safely carry 30 amps on the length provided from the converter to the connector, but if You going to extend the wire I would use the gauges provided on that table.

Unless you have a real long run on the +12v output to a fuse box, 12ga is plenty for carrying 30 amps.

The 48v side will carry at the most 8-10 amps, so 14ga is plenty for the +48v.

Check with RevolutionGolfCars.com to see if they carry the Precedent voltage converter harness connector.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
aft_cart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. My cart is already wired up with a Madjax light kit/bucket harness, so I've been working around that. The previous owner had it built by a dealer who just hooks the light kits up to the last 2 batteries @ 16v. I've seen where the OEM harness is connected into the madjax harness. I didn't buy the volt-2003 because it looked like it was designed to plug into a red hawk brand light kit.
aft_cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car