lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Another mysterious problem for the xperts

I have a 2006 48 volt precedent golf cart with a 4x12v battery setup. Current battery pack is 51 volts. I have the rear of the cart on jack stands. My current issue is when I turn key to on, put it in run position, depress gas to the floor, solenoid clicks every time and wheels do NOT rotate. If i hold the pedal down and reach down and turn the wheel by hand, most of the time it starts rotating but slowly. As for research online, I checked speed sensor and verified that its getting correct reading. IIRC, it was 5 volts from green to black and 15 volts.

I removed the solenoid and tested it out of cart by energizing the small leads, hearing a click and then testing for continuity between the large posts. (no beep).

I purchased the cart without batteries and it was already setup for a 4x12v system, so I went back with that. Although this is my first 4x12v system, I am pretty sure I have them correctly installed. I have 51 volts at main positive and main negative with full charge.

I have checked everything I can think of and I was hoping some experts could chime in and lead me in the right direction. I attached a few photos that hopefully help.

Thank you in advance for the advice.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190531_154430.jpg (130.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190531_154421.jpg (243.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190531_154408.jpg (292.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190531_154412.jpg (273.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190531_145025.jpg (299.5 KB, 0 views)
sicrx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Another mysterious problem for the xperts

Instead of playing a guessing game with your meter the best option would be to find someone with a Curtis handheld and let the cart tell you what is wrong. That will save you a lot of time and headache and Money. If I had to guess though I’d say it’s either in your MCOR, wiring harness or motor brushes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Another mysterious problem for the xperts

I'd start by checking for a bad brush in the motor. Check for continuity between A1 & A2 on the motor. While you're there also check for continuity between F1 & F2 which should be low ohms. Then check all four posts to the motor case which should read open. This is done with motor leads disconnected. Use two wrenches to keep from spinning the stud.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Okay, as suggested, I checked continuity between terminals on the motor and got the following. Positive lead on f1 and negative on f2 I get beep. Positive on a1 and negative on a2, I get nothing.

Will All leads disconnected and checking each post to body of the motor I get no beep.

Thanks again,
John
Old 05-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

When doing what Walter said, take a 12v battery and test motor. Has it run before or did you just get it? Also, just about a week ago I had a similar issue drive me nuts and it was a bad clicking/tested solenoid that would not carry the current.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thx carter, No I got the cart not running but supposedly ran before batteries went bad. Using a 12 battery, what posts do I connect to test ?
Thanks again
John
Old 05-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Just look up testing sepex or series motors whichever you have. Sorry I'm driving in a minute.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If rotating the wheels by hand gets it to start moving the motor brushes are shot.
Will need new brushes and will need the commutator cut to fix the grooves and wear and burn from the poor brush contact.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK. I checked online and although I have f1 and f2, I was able to figure it out. I hooked up a 12v good battery to f2 and a1 with a jumper on f1 and a2...absolutely no rotation. I even attempted to move the tires by hand but I am assuming with 12 volts as opposed to 50 volts, if the brushes are shot as someone suggested, 12 volts will not move the tires and the 50 barely moves them.....

I have never replaced the brushes in a golf cart motor, I have replaced them in a starter motor(Pita), is it as complicated as it sounds?
Thx again
John

Ps, Is it possible the brushes are just very very corroded or rusted and is not making good contact? The cart was stored under a covered roof but stored outside for a few years....
Old 05-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It is possible they're just stuck, but the sepex motors usually don't have access holes for the brushes, so it would have to be removed and taken apart to find out for sure.

I don't think golf cart motors are all that difficult to take apart, but I also don't think starter motors are all that difficult, soooo... you're mileage may vary. Depends on what kind of starter you took apart before. Cart motors tend to be a bit simpler since there's no solenoid on the motor, and there's no drive system on the end.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car