lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #31
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Admiral A4 install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Loading the A4T or A4S map will set the pole selection to 4.
4 pole is the correct count for all Admiral motors (all versions)
In post #9 he said he changed the number of poles from 4 to 8 and it made no difference.

So are You saying that the controller is now ignoring that setting and it can be anything or that by loading the custom field map You get a one time pre-set on the number of poles but he needs to go back and put it on 4?

trying to learn....
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #32
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
In post #9 he said he changed the number of poles from 4 to 8 and it made no difference.

So are You saying that the controller is now ignoring that setting and it can be anything or that by loading the custom field map You get a one time pre-set on the number of poles but he needs to go back and put it on 4?

trying to learn....
Yes the map will load the correct pole setting. I think this is part of any map from Alltrax. You can change it from 4 to 8. If he did that. The controller would think 2000 rpms was 4000 rpms. Which should make the controller cut off higher motor rpms at 50% of it's potential.
Since he said it made no difference we conclude 1 of 2 things.
A. The limit rpm box is unchecked. The motor is running without controller rpm monitoring, regen, or restriction. This is a good test for a bad speed sensor situation.
B. The pole change did not take or SET. This is the most common error when programming. Changes not SET will not be applied. Closing the program, disconnecting the communication cable, reconnecting and reopening the program to verify the changes SET is the best insurance here.

OP has installed the speed map and the cart is reaching 20 mph on stock 18" tires. 20 is the manufactures suggested speed. Speed results are akin to MPG results. There are many variables effecting the results, not all of which can be known. I've had a lot more success with MPH results than MPG.

Taller tires will net more speed. 19s would net 2 additional mph.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #33
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yes the map will load the correct pole setting. I think this is part of any map from Alltrax. You can change it from 4 to 8. If he did that. The controller would think 2000 rpms was 4000 rpms. Which should make the controller cut off higher motor rpms at 50% of it's potential.
Since he said it made no difference we conclude 1 of 2 things.
A. The limit rpm box is unchecked. The motor is running without controller rpm monitoring, regen, or restriction. This is a good test for a bad speed sensor situation.
B. The pole change did not take or SET. This is the most common error when programming. Changes not SET will not be applied. Closing the program, disconnecting the communication cable, reconnecting and reopening the program to verify the changes SET is the best insurance here.

OP has installed the speed map and the cart is reaching 20 mph on stock 18" tires. 20 is the manufactures suggested speed. Speed results are akin to MPG results. There are many variables effecting the results, not all of which can be known. I've had a lot more success with MPH results than MPG.

Taller tires will net more speed. 19s would net 2 additional mph.
Wait, the opposite would happen right?

If the motor has a 4 pole magnet installed and you set the controller to an 8 pole setting, then when the motor is spinning at 4,000 rpm the controller would only see 2,000 rpm.

That is significant because the Controller will not weaken the field at that low "sensed" rpm and it would prevent the motor from reaching the maximum speed.

What was the maximum rpm in his log?
Old 08-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #34
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

So isn’t unchecking the speed limit box akin to disabling a gas motor’s governor? All engine design safety parameters are null and void. Going down a steep hill could be an interesting test of max rpm’s and heat assuming the torque motor intent was to go up them.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #35
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Right. You are correct. If the control was set on 8 pole for a 4 pole magnet. It would take 2 rpm for the control to count 1 rpm.

That is significant because the Controller will not weaken the field at that low "sensed" rpm and it would prevent the motor from reaching the maximum speed.

I see what you are saying here too but, we asked him to uncheck the speed limit box and there was no change?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #36
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yep, if he still running with the "speed limit" box unchecked the cart will not run as fast either since the Controller will not lower the field current as much as with speed limit enabled, set for 4-poles and "turbo" checked.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #37
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireguy7606 View Post
I did. I sent them to scotty. We're working on it. I think I'm just getting all I'm going to get. I was just looking for a nugget. Maybe something I missed.
Tireguy,

Where are you with this and what was the maximum motor RPM you were able to achieve on flat ground?
Old 08-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #38
Tireguy7606
Getting Wild

We're supposed to have a frog strangler tonight so I won't be able to check rpm but mph has steadily gotten better. 20 to 21 on flat ground. Started at 16ish. I'm guessing motor is getting broken in. I'll check rpm tomorrow evening and post it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Tireguy7606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car