lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

Default DS Brake Flip - now have issue

Ok completed brake flip on my 02 DS and now I have an issue with just the driver side brakes working. I have narrowed it down to an issue with the passenger side cable. For some reason once the cable is attached and pedal is activated, the self adjuster level will not return all the way back to adjust again. The attached pic is the resting spot after pedal is released. I can work the system by hand without cable attached and everything works properly including self adjust lever returning all the way back. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190817_111201.jpg (206.8 KB, 0 views)
GBLGBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: DS Brake Flip - now have issue

Not sure why all my pics ALWAYS get rotated left...lol.

Here's two more pics of how I have everything set up. I've checked it versus the drivers side and everything appears to match up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190817_110716.jpg (220.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190817_110733.jpg (164.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
powerandglory
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLGBL View Post
Ok completed brake flip on my 02 DS and now I have an issue with just the driver side brakes working. I have narrowed it down to an issue with the passenger side cable. For some reason once the cable is attached and pedal is activated, the self adjuster level will not return all the way back to adjust again. The attached pic is the resting spot after pedal is released. I can work the system by hand without cable attached and everything works properly including self adjust lever returning all the way back. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Took me awhile to get the adjuster set correctly. I was pressing that brake pedal I’d say at least 30 times till it adjusted right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powerandglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

So, your adjustment was with the actual cable bracket?
Old 08-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

You realize you can manually manipulate the adjustment mechanism prior to or with the drum 1/2 off the shoes.....this way you’ve adjusted the tension the majority of the way needed, then the mechanism upon brake depression will adjust itself to any further needed tension/pressure...
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
powerandglory
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
You realize you can manually manipulate the adjustment mechanism prior to or with the drum 1/2 off the shoes.....this way you’ve adjusted the tension the majority of the way needed, then the mechanism upon brake depression will adjust itself to any further needed tension/pressure...

Yes. I figured that out after I did it manually through the brake pedal. Thanks Htownblue

Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
powerandglory
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLGBL View Post
So, your adjustment was with the actual cable bracket?

If you take off the drum, you can manually move the adjuster but I backed off the adjuster so my drum spins freely when it’s back on the hub. Then I engaged the brake pedal until the brake shoes were right. The clicking from the adjuster will stop when it’s adjusted

Old 08-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, everything works correctly and I have been adjusting wo drum on. My issue occurs when the cable gets connected. Adjuster will not fully bring adjusting level all the way back. Acts as though the cable is too short. I am going to try loosening ubolts and adjusting cable bracket.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

Well that made it much better. I was able to move the cable bracket outwards away from the leaf springs about a 1/4 inch. Now the adjuster on that side works as needed. Guess it just aligned the cable to adjuster better making for more range of movement. Still not 100% satisfied but much, much better. There maybe a disc brake install in the future.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the cable has any kinks it will cause the cable to bind and not return properly. Also they are built with minimal lubrication and after several years they get dirt in them and the lubrication used dries out. Remove the cables and spray some chain and cable lube into the ends and work them back and forth by hand until they move easily. Gravity helps, so hold the cable upright and give the spray time to drain down through the cable sheath.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car