lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
ucmeflyby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1st cart project, 98 DS refurb & lithium conversion.

Recently purchased a 48v '98 DS from my brother-in-law. He had taken it in as payment for some mechanic work. The cart is pretty rough, the batteries were bone dry, top is gone, seat is rotten..., but the price was right. I've been lurking here a while and decided to convert this cart to lithium batteries and I've ordered 14 Nissan Leaf packs to get started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-10-03 12.49.11.jpg (199.4 KB, 0 views)
ucmeflyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: 1st cart project, 98 DS refurb & lithium conversion.

Nice!

Bit of advice; go with a zeva bms and you'll have a lot of support here on the forum to help with any troubleshooting.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Great platform for anything you want to make out of it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
ucmeflyby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you. I have already sent Ian an email. Pretty sure I’m going to use the Zeva BMS16 with a CAN enabled TC charger. Trying to decide if I want to use the expensive gigavac or the relays that Sergio has described.

What is the method I’ve seen mentioned about connecting the Leaf cells together to normalize/balance them? It looks like you simply connect all the positive terminals in series while also connecting the negative terminals in series., but I can’t be sure I understand that correctly.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucmeflyby View Post
Thank you. I have already sent Ian an email. Pretty sure I’m going to use the Zeva BMS16 with a CAN enabled TC charger. Trying to decide if I want to use the expensive gigavac or the relays that Sergio has described.

What is the method I’ve seen mentioned about connecting the Leaf cells together to normalize/balance them? It looks like you simply connect all the positive terminals in series while also connecting the negative terminals in series., but I can’t be sure I understand that correctly.
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your build!

Ian is really good about explaining your options, and is usually pretty prompt in replying. And as NCPW stated, there are quite a few of us on here using their system and will share our experiences and advice.

As for balancing the cells/modules, I'll look back through some threads, it's been discussed before, and I'll link the thread to this thread when I find it. I didn't have to worry about it when I got my pack, they were balanced.

Other than that, what are your plans? If you let us know what you will be using the car for(pavement, off road, hills, hunting, etc.), we will be able to give advice on mods and so forth. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
ucmeflyby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your build!

Ian is really good about explaining your options, and is usually pretty prompt in replying. And as NCPW stated, there are quite a few of us on here using their system and will share our experiences and advice.

As for balancing the cells/modules, I'll look back through some threads, it's been discussed before, and I'll link the thread to this thread when I find it. I didn't have to worry about it when I got my pack, they were balanced.

Other than that, what are your plans? If you let us know what you will be using the car for(pavement, off road, hills, hunting, etc.), we will be able to give advice on mods and so forth. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Our home is in a very rural area, several family members live nearby, so the cart will mostly be used by my wife and 3 kids to ride around. I am fairly certain that I have a series cart, no regenerative braking on this thing. There is about a 4" lift already on the cart with larger tires and I'm going to try to keep the motor and controller stock for now. The kids don't need a torque monster.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
ucmeflyby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update:
A lot of work on the cart since I started my project. Finished up painting the body last night. I have changed the motor to an Admiral and have an Alltrax controller. Still have to get all that wired up and many other things to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-12-18 00.53.12.jpg (182.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-12-18 00.53.04.jpg (180.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good to see you are making progress. What did you use for paint?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
ucmeflyby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Monstaliner was my paint of choice. Cleaned it, scuffed it really rough with a DA, cleaned it a few more times and rolled two coats on. The color looks light in the shop lights, it's called Midnight Special.

I'm happy with it, especially considering how likely it is to survive my children.

I bought a 1 gallon kit, but I barely used half of it.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #10
ucmeflyby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Tonight I’ve started working on my lithium pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEE5DA31-F5A1-41EE-BBCF-AF3142DA6DC5.jpg (192.4 KB, 0 views)

Tags
1st time, 48v, club car ds, lithium, project
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car