lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Kyle.brown669
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help with Brakes

I just converted from a 36V to 48V by adding 2 in the bag well and have it on a Jakes 6in Spindle with 23in tires and the SR48500 with 400 Sol and HD F&R switch. I have noticed since adding the lift and tires the braking is not very good at all. I would like to make sure when the family is driving it they can brake in time. What would be the best upgrade for this?
Kyle.brown669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help with Brakes

The Jake's front disc brake kit would probably be the best option.

I noticed when I went from 36v to 48v, the stock rear drum brakes don't do the best when it comes to stopping. I am currently looking to do the same kit on my setup.
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Kyle.....something to think about and that is just a good ol fashioned brake job.....pop off your drums and look at the shoes and see their condition...if they are good, then take EVERYTHING apart and properly clean it and lube what should be and put it back together and then PROPERLYY adjust it all. and depending on how old your cart is, it wouldn't hurt to remove the brake cables and lube them as well....I did all of than when I rebuilt my cart when I went from 36 to 48v....you can see in my sig....I have a top end speed of 30 mph....and I have no problem locking up my 23" tires at speed if required!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What Sir Nuke said
Check and adjust your stock brakes per manual. No short cuts brakes must be adjusted as a “system”.
Although going to larger tires can reduce braking performance slightly. Guessing your brakes were marginally adjusted properly before upgrade and just now showing up.
Pay special attention to brake cables and equalizer bar since lifting cart can cause same effect as having too short of cables in place.

Reason for comments to adjust all components as a system in steps described in manual.😊
Properly adjusted brakes should lock up wheels when brakes applied.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also, to get brakes to self adjust. (All brake items in good health and assembled correctly)

Going forward, panic stop from cruising speed without engaging parking brake, and release pedal just before cart stops.

Repeat until rear tires will lock up.

Read attachment for explanation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mechanical Brake Adjusting.jpg (148.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:21 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sticky brake cables are a thing that's often overlooked, and it's a real thing. Now, just how old are they?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Kyle.brown669
Not Yet Wild

The cart is a 07
Kyle.brown669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
genoz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you reroute the drivers side brake line after the lift. I had to do that to make the brakes work. Just a thought.
genoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO