lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #21
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2006 CC Precedent Brakes Locking/Dragging

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
CCNorth, THANKS!

It looks like tapping out the brake shoe retainer pins may be the winning ticket.

I’ll get to it soon.

I owe you the beverage of your choice.
Thanks! I'll have to pass on the drink. Your wife would probably not like you buying another female a drink. Yes, I'm not a guy.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #22
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Plan C ?

I was able to shear off the brake shoe retainer pins. I WD40ed the shoes and tried to remove the drum . . . No Joy.

A neighbor lent me a brake drum puller tool but it kept slipping off.

I applied more WD40 before I knocked it off for the night, maybe soaking will help.

Any suggestions? Is it possible to remove the entire brake assembly from the axle rod (by removing the remaining 3 bolts?

I may go to Harbor Freight and see if they have a brake drum puller that attaches to the lug nut bolts and the axle. I’ve resolved the fact so will need new brake shoes and a new drum at least.

. . . and that drink offer still stands, my wife loves company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 502427E8-FDB4-4570-95A7-63D9E9FF301A.jpg (121.0 KB, 0 views)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:54 AM   #23
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the invite. You are too kind.

Just to be sure we're on the same page, the studs are not a part of the drum. The type puller you need, that fits, may be hard to find.

Yes, let it soak overnight, then take a rubber mallet and tap around the drum about 1/2 inch from the edge. Tap, Tap, Tap...... Grab the hub with both hands and twist left, right, left, right and pull..... rinse and repeat.......

You mentioned the different space around the hub. You might try to use the mallet and tap the hub back ON to get it even all the way around, then try to remove it.

If that doesn't work you'll be super frustrated. Get two small pry bars and place them on the outside edge of the drum and gently try to pry it off. Pry one place them move over a few inches and pry, move over a few inches and pry........ rinse and repeat. Chances are you'll bend or dent the back plate. Remember that the axle to which the studs are mounted is under that hub and you don't want to jam a pry bar in there (not that I think you could but you never know).

Last approach, that I will offer, is to use a drift punch or a blunt cold steel chisel and hit along the edge of the drum from the _opposite_ side of the drum. This means being under the cart and will involve a big hammer. Don't try to do it in one blow. You want to move around the edge of the drum as you hit it.

Pull the axle? No, I would not unless you have a correctly sized vice that you could then secure the axle without damaging it while you tried to get the hub off. To me it's more difficult to work with. You're better off leaving it on the cart. However, if it were me, I'd pull the axle after you get that hub off just to see what condition the splines are in, at minimum.

Since you don't mind replacing the entire assembly so go ahead and beat it into submission.

I know that the experts on this forum have all done this a zillion times and somebody needs to step in and give you better advice. Come on guys, help this fella out!
Old 08-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #24
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was thinking . . . Shouldn’t I see a gap between the leading and trailing brake shoe? Meaning as I look from the drum down to the backing plate where the shoe retaining pins were, shouldn’t I see where the brake pads end?

Now that I think about it, I do not see that gap. I think the design of this brake drum has a lip inside, though none of the replacement drums I have looked at seem to have that lip. Below is a brake assemble photo for reference . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 82659252-DF57-499C-BC08-61B9FA924883.jpeg (786.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EE33FF41-76E5-4A64-B07F-0E16F6FEB501.jpg (166.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Club Car recommends cutting the brake shoe retaining pins in those cases to allow for removal of the drums without causing damage to the inside parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn_Brake_removal.jpg (307.8 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #26
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Club Car recommends cutting the brake shoe retaining pins in those cases to allow for removal of the drums without causing damage to the inside parts.
Thanks you Sergio. He already did that and still cannot remove the hub.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #27
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
I was thinking . . . Shouldn’t I see a gap between the leading and trailing brake shoe? Meaning as I look from the drum down to the backing plate where the shoe retaining pins were, shouldn’t I see where the brake pads end?

Now that I think about it, I do not see that gap. I think the design of this brake drum has a lip inside, though none of the replacement drums I have looked at seem to have that lip. Below is a brake assemble photo for reference . . .
You don't have the hub off far enough to be able to see the shoes. Yes, there is a small lip on the drum where it thins out and sits against the backing plate. The brakes don't contact that part of the drum. This is the edge you are using to pry the drum off. I hope that makes sense.

Even though you sheared off those retaining pins the shoes are still in their original position but when you finally get that drum to move forward the brakes will collapse forward so the drum will clear the brakes and come off.

Revisit my 2 screwdrivers suggestion. They must be _large_ flatheads. Slip the head under the edge of the drum at 3 and 9:00 o'clock. Grip the handles with your palm and fingers and twistttttt the head of the screwdrivers 45 degrees. If 3 and 9 position doesn't work, move a few inches and try again, going all the way around the edge of the drum. There is probably one spot that is holding it tighter than the others.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #28
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Update:

Still no luck.

I fashioned some “handles” to get more leverage — nothing

I used those handles to try an get more authority with the brake shoe puller— nothing

Hit the drum with mallet — nothing

On the bright side the brakes aren’t dragging as much as they used to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0240F79A-D031-4508-B028-B7ECC2AB6655.jpg (118.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 62D7C4A8-7C41-41B8-AE0D-F3ECAE181FC5.jpg (129.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #29
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Darn, just saw your photo that you posted at 12:21 a.m. It did not show up when I read the thread originally. I promise it didn't or I would have realized the problem.

The photos you posted today show me what you're doing wrong. As I said, those post that hold the lug nuts are _not_ part of the drum. Using that puller with the wrenches on the posts is just pulling the two things together. You're defeating the purpose. LOL

Pretend those post are not there; ignore them. Pull on just the drum.

Also, with that puller you have to be very careful not to damage the end of the axle. You should put the castle nut on _backwards_ and leave it a couple of turns out so it will act to protect the axle and the force of the puller will be on the nut.

Sorry, but I'm laughing so hard right now.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #30
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Why are the wrenches on the axle studs. ? The studs do not come off with the drum. Those wrenches are holding the drum on. Get everything off the the studs and beat the heck out of the back of the drum on the edges
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car