lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
medney
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Charger Tripping GFI Outlet

I have a brand new Schauer 48 volt 15.5 Amp charger that I am plugging into a GFI outlet on the breaker box where I plug in my camper. I can power it up, but when I hook it to the cart to charge it immediately trips the outlet. It is a 20 amp circuit - the breaker in the box doesn't trip, just the outlet. I have tried an older Powerwise and it works just fine. Will these newer chargers not work plugged into a GFI outlet. I don't have an easy way to try it in a non-GFI outlet - all of them are GFI's where my camper and cart is. Just hoping somebody has run into this before.

Thanks in Advance
medney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger Tripping GFI Outlet

If it is at a campground, I would be suspect of the GFI outlet . . . chances are that it is old and not functioning properly. Have you tried plugging in the charger to a GFI outlet in your camper?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
medney
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

This is a lot I own and has brand new electric service. Yes I have tried an outlet on the camper and same thing happens. I had to install a GFI outlet in the breaker box to pass electrical code. I would rather not, but I could change that to a standard outlet if I could determine this charger just won't work on a GFI outlet.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

I have wired many GFI's . . . have to ask obvious question . . . polarity wired properly? GFI tripping is a "ground fault" issue, not necessarily a load issue. . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have used a 20 amp dedicated circuit with outside GFI and weather proof cover for my cart charger ( stock 17 amps max output CC ) and through the 15 years have had to replace the GFI 2 times.
I feel that the 20 amp GFI is too low a load capacity but this is my opinion only? CC spec's call for only 10.9 amps AC input?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
medney
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes, the polarity is correct, already checked that. Thinking about it, I believe there are a few outlets inside of my camper that are not on GFI circuits. I will give one of those a try next time I go down to the camper and see if I can narrow it down to the GFI being the problem.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

May be the charger in the feedback it is giving to the GFI. Remember this is not a CC charger so may have a different feedback.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
medney
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Suppose to be guaranteed to work on all Club Cars. I'm going to try it on a non GFCI outlet and if it doesn't work there I'm sending it back.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

what year is the cart? and did you have to do any bypassing of wires or any jumper wires for charger to work?? i know some of the carts you have to bypass or jump a wire to get the charger to work proper.................did you have to jump or bypass any wires?.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
medney
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

2005 DS IQ Regen
Yes, I by-passed the OBC by jumping from charge receptacle to main battery pack negatiive.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car