lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
FrankV
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New guy

Just registered and hope that I am at the right forum, I have an old e z go freedom, 1998 - 36 volt model that I just inherited with a power wise 36 volt charger. The batteries seem to be dead and I have just ordered some Trojan t 105's, I was very happy with the Trojans that I used on my boat so hope that that equates to good golf cart batteries. Please forgive me if I am in the wrong place, just direct me and I will forever keep to the rules. Thanks in advance, BTW do you need 30+ volts to trip the chargers on, just curious for the future since I am in Arizona and I know how hard the heat is on deep cells. Again, Thanks. Frank
FrankV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: New guy

You could not have come to a better place than this!
The Trojans are said to be the best when it comes to golf cart batts.
I think the voltage needs to be at least 25 for the charger to kick on...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Frank....for the charger you have, I believe it requires 32v for it to kick on when you plug it in. if your batteries are lower than that, you can charge them in pairs using a standard 12 automotive charger......but remember they don't shut off......but after you charge them all up a bit, you could them plug in the carts charger an d it will take over.

oh and btw.....CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

The voltage need to turn on the charger varies with the make and model as well as some variance within the same make and model. (The battery pack voltage is used to close a relay inside the charger, which turns on the charger)

If your cart has a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, be sure to put it into the Tow position before changing out the batteries, or doing any disconnecting or connecting of wires. Otherwise, the controller can be destroyed.

Also, when you get the new batteries, be sure to fully charge them before the first use and to break them in properly to obtain maximum storage capacity. Here's how: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
FrankV
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies, I did not find a tow switch on my e-z-go, so I individually disconnected the batteries, topped off the water and charged each with a 6 volt car charger until I had 5.6-6 volts each. I then plugged in the charger and Voila, as predicted by everyone here, the charger kicked on. After 12 hours of charging ( with the amp meter on the charger clicking back and forth, until it shut off ), I disconnected the charger and turned the key on, the meter on the cart showed 36 volts, the headlights, turn signals operate but when put in gear it just doesn't go, it feels like it is trying but I don't think there is sufficient amperage to get it going, so I am calling the local golf cart shop today and having new batteries installed. Again thanks for all the great advice and I will keep this as my reference, social media site for the future. Frank
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Frank....you said "the meter on the cart" read 36 v....is it a digital read out or the "gas gage" meter? if it is a digital....and the charger kicked off and after a rewst you only have 36v......YES you have a problem, as that in only 50% SOC. and should never be that low.....ESPECIALLY after a charge!

oh and btw, after you get your new batteries....go and read and head the battery break in procedure so you will get the most out of your pack.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
FrankV
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the new batteries Wednesday and followed the write up on new batteries and sure enough as predicted they took a good 8 hours of charging before the charger turned off, I really love all the info available here, since I would have just driven off into the sunset having no idea that they weren't already fully charged. Anyway everything seems to be ok now and my next project is changing the seat covers from cloth to some type of faux leather, any suggestions on sources would be appreciated and what are the thoughts on the watering system for topping off the batteries that has one tube that snakes out to all the batteries, good idea or just another gadget for a lazy old guy like me. Thanks again for the info, Frank.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm both old and lazy, but I'm also cautious.
This is what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/LubriMatic-75-030-Professional-Battery-Filler/dp/B000K1HNSQ http://www.amazon.com/LubriMatic-75-030-Professional-Battery-Filler/dp/B000K1HNSQ
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'm both old and lazy, but I'm also cautious.
This is what I use. http://www.amazon.com/LubriMatic-75-.../dp/B000K1HNSQ
Got 1 just like that, works a lot better then a squeeze bulb specially when your maintaining 2 carts
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO