lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default JohnnieB's sleeper build - Part-3

Finally got the new batteries in. (7 x 6V for 42V) A neighbor helped me with the heavy lifting.

The R & R went fairly smoothly, but ran into a couple of minor problems.
The lift points on the Exides conflict with the battery hold downs, so I improvised with some 2" fender washers on the "J" bolts until I can work out a permanent solution.
One of the cables to the battery in front of driver side rear wheel is a bit short and is blocking one of the vent caps, so I'll have to remove the cable to check electrolytes level in that cell until I get a longer cable.

My neighbor and I took it for a spin after we got the batteries connected (The new batteries were already fully charged - in fact they had been on float charge since last fall)

With the DCX400, the torque was impressive at 36V and almost scary at 42V
On the other hand, I was disappoint in the speed gain over 36V.
Then I realized I was carrying and addition 390 pounds. New batteries are heavier and there are more of them, and my neighbor weigh about 240.
After dropping him off, I made another short run and was hitting 27-28 mph on fairly level pavement, despite the battery pack being 150 pounds heavier.

Weather permitting, I'll be be taking it to an area with some long stretches of level road and verify the top speed.

So far, everything has matched my theoretical projections pretty well.

I've got some tweaking to do on the way the cables are routed between the batteries, and getting the battery hold downs in place, and then I'll take some pictures.

I've also got to do a little tweaking on the controller settings, first for max performance and then to tone it down a bit so I don't shear the splines in the hubs.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
patgrim00
Gone Wild

Sounds great johnnie I'm waiting on a guy to come pick up a truck I sold him so I can buy the 909 from Scotty then ill be posting up how great it is
patgrim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: JohnnieB's sleeper build - Part-3

About time you got "around to it"! LOL! Now, get one more battery, & you'll REALLY be impressed! Hahahaha

BTW....what's all this talk about torque & top speed?! I thought you were strictly concerned with run-time!!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

WhooHoo
Bout time is right...... been enjoying our 42v PDS for quite some time...went with a D&D motor last winter. It's a gas.
Shoot me an email about the cables you need and I'll hook you up. We can't have you using a mismatched set.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
1. About time you got "around to it"! LOL!

2. Now, get one more battery, & you'll REALLY be impressed! Hahahaha

3. BTW....what's all this talk about torque & top speed?! I thought you were strictly concerned with run-time!!
1. According to SWMBO, my standing amongst procrastinators is somewhere between Advanced-Amateur and Semi-Professional, so I finally ran out of excuses for not doing it.

2. I'm thinking about it, but I want to keep everything under the seat, so I'll have to re-locate the Controller & Solenoid to fit the eighth battery in, but that will have to wait until I get "around to it".

3. My goal was "Range" rather than Speed or Torque or Run-Time and traveling a long distance in a short amount of time fits within my definition of Range.

Kidding aside, Speed and Torque are secondary to my goal of range, but they exist and others may want to upgrade their PDS cart for speed and/or torque, so I'm sharing that information.

Over the next few days I'll be breaking in the new batteries and once they are, I'll be able to get some real numbers on what the range is.

------------
Quite honestly, I had my doubts if just replacing the stock PDS controller with one that didn't limit motor RPM would up the speed to 24MPH, but it does. Of course, my cart's amp delivery system wasn't exactly stock since installing 2Ga cables was one of the first things I did to improve the cart's efficiency. Also my tires weren't exactly stock. The cart came from the factory with Carlisle Links tires, whose published mounted height is 17.4"
and to solve some slow leak problems, I replaced the with Carlisle Turf Master whose published mounted height is 18.3", so my "Stock " tires are nearly an inch taller than the original "Stock" tires. I'm also running them at 22PSI (Max inflation stamped on sidewall) and the DCX controller's Turbo mode is turned on.

I was also doubtful that a 16.7% increase in battery pack voltage (36V to 42V) would increase the speed by 16.7%, but that also happened. Or at least, pretty close to it from what I can tell so far.

I have no way of actually measuring torque, but the difference in acceleration going from a PDS controller to a DCX400 controller was very noticeable and so was going from 36V to 42V.

---------
Like any kid with a new toy, I'll play with it some, but the old man part of my psyche will eventually take over and I'll de-tune it for comfort and durability.

I'll de-select the turbo mode because it generates more motor heat and back the air pressure in the tires down to an optimal foot print. The cart's weigh has increased (Heavier batteries and more of them), so I'll have to do the chalk line or wet towel trick again to find the right tire pressure.
Both of those will lower the top speed some, but the cart will still be quick.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
WhooHoo
Bout time is right...... been enjoying our 42v PDS for quite some time...went with a D&D motor last winter. It's a gas.
Shoot me an email about the cables you need and I'll hook you up. We can't have you using a mismatched set.
I'm using all 2Ga cables, (I got the eleventh one from you last fall) One just needs to be a little longer. The new batteries have bolt through post instead of studs, so the short cable blocks a filler cap. Also, I had to move the seventh battery back further for it to reach and it's covering the hole I was planning to install a J-Bolt for the battery hold-down. I've got it secured with a super strong Ty-Rap, but I've got to do some "Adjusting" on all the battery hold downs because the stock ones don't fit the new batteries.

I've got to install an ammeter shunt and putting it in series with the short cable is may work out, so I'll send you an e-mail when I get that sorted out.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I was amazed when I did my power upgrades "all at the same time"! The lift & tires really bogged it down, so I could only imagine how much torque this thing would have if it was on stock sized tires!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I've got to install an ammeter shunt and putting it in series with the short cable is may work out, so I'll send you an e-mail when I get that sorted out.
Mine ain't pretty, but I just cut and reused my cables. I like the placement though.

I had to "build" a 48v to ? volt reducer. The chip I bought needed more amps than I used, so I added a "burden" resister.

You mentioned a short cable, so this could be an opportunity to fix both problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2360.jpg (150.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2364.jpg (176.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2368.jpg (125.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2370.jpg (138.1 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
I was amazed when I did my power upgrades "all at the same time"! The lift & tires really bogged it down, so I could only imagine how much torque this thing would have if it was on stock sized tires!
Other than raising the center of gravity and perhaps increasing wind resistance, lifts are more or less performance neutral.
However, the 22" tire height is costing you about 20% of the torque being generated by the motor.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You mentioned a short cable, so this could be an opportunity to fix both problems.
That is my plan.

Just got to figure out how/where to mount the support bracket(s) for the shunt. Then measure the cable length needed.

Did you vent the white thingy (Piece of a cutting board?) for air flow through the shunt?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO