lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
Tinodesis
Not Yet Wild

Default FWD Electric Cart with Suspension?

I want to build a front-wheel-drive electric cart using an ME29 transaxle I was given for free. I also want IFS. Can I modify the solid axle housing to accept a splined output flange and CV axles? I have axles with splines already cut to attach a VW output flange. I could have the other end cut to match the splines on the inboard end of the axle.

Here is a basic model of what I want to do. The frame, a-arms, suspension parts, etc, are not shown in the picture.

Is there a better gear box with suspension axles out there that can take up to 22 HP?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OUTPUT_800.jpg (115.7 KB, 0 views)
Tinodesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Default Re: FWD Electric Cart with Suspension?

1 Why front wheel drive? I have a dual motor cart that has front and rear motors, I prefer it in rear wheel drive not front wheel drive. Traction is better at the rear, unless you are climbing over objects taller than the front tires. The only other exception where FWD helps is a slight reduction in turning radius.

2 Why use a belt when gears are stronger and last longer?
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
Tinodesis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
1 Why front wheel drive? I have a dual motor cart that has front and rear motors, I prefer it in rear wheel drive not front wheel drive. Traction is better at the rear, unless you are climbing over objects taller than the front tires. The only other exception where FWD helps is a slight reduction in turning radius.

2 Why use a belt when gears are stronger and last longer?
I need front wheel drive because I'm going to use trailing arms for the rear suspension. I will be using a ramp between the trailing arms to load my wheelchair.

I have a 72 Volt buggy now that uses a belt just like the picture. I was going to use it on this project. It makes less noise than a chain and sprockets.

I thought about my post last night and should have narrowed my question down to "Can an ME29 be modified to accept suspension axles?"

Last edited by Tinodesis; 02-01-2015 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Look at older(early/mid 90s)Polaris quad front ends for 4x4 models.They are chain-drive,so mounting and connecting the motor would be fairly simple,and the rest of the work is already done.They use McPhearson Struts,which will simplify mounting too.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Tinodesis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Look at older(early/mid 90s)Polaris quad front ends for 4x4 models.They are chain-drive,so mounting and connecting the motor would be fairly simple,and the rest of the work is already done.They use McPhearson Struts,which will simplify mounting too.Hope this helps.
Hi pachanga,

If I'm understanding your suggestion I would power the Polaris transmission with the electric motor then run chain to drive the front axles.

Wouldn't I need a differential up front for turning without scrubbing the tires? Or are you suggesting using the entire front end?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Use the Polaris differential(its chain-driven from trans,so the shaft has a sprocket on it already),cv-shafts,control-arms,steering,etc..Just cut the whole front section out of the quad,and make a motor-bracket.You will need to check the gearing in the differential,and adjust the motor to diff.gearing with sprockets if necessary,but it would be alot easier and cheaper than building an entire drivetrain.With the electric-drive,you won't need a transmission,its built into the drive-system.We had a 93' Polaris 300 4x4 2-stroke,it was chain driven front and rear.Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Tinodesis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Use the Polaris differential(its chain-driven from trans,so the shaft has a sprocket on it already),cv-shafts,control-arms,steering,etc..Just cut the whole front section out of the quad,and make a motor-bracket.You will need to check the gearing in the differential,and adjust the motor to diff.gearing with sprockets if necessary,but it would be alot easier and cheaper than building an entire drivetrain.With the electric-drive,you won't need a transmission,its built into the drive-system.We had a 93' Polaris 300 4x4 2-stroke,it was chain driven front and rear.Hope this helps.
I understand now, thanks. Only problem would be no reverse.

I don't have to build the drive-train my way, just modify the the ME29 to accept CV shafts. I already have the control arms, cv shafts, spindles, steering rack and shaft, brakes, etc. All from a 2006 Yamaha Rhino.

I'm just needing a good FNR gearbox and was hoping to use the ME29.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you use a golf cart drive system(motor,controller,etc.)you will have reverse built in.Thats why i suggested it in the form i did without a transmission.Im sure old quad parts are alot cheaper than rhino/rzr parts too.Then you have a simple, reliable,proven drive system electrically and mechanically.Another option is the polaris trans,it has Hi,Lo,Nuetral,and Reverse,and is chain drive output,belt-driven(CVT like a cart)input,which can be removed and the shaft hooked to the drive-motor.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinodesis View Post
I understand now, thanks. Only problem would be no reverse.

I don't have to build the drive-train my way, just modify the the ME29 to accept CV shafts. I already have the control arms, cv shafts, spindles, steering rack and shaft, brakes, etc. All from a 2006 Yamaha Rhino.

I'm just needing a good FNR gearbox and was hoping to use the ME29.
You shouldn't need a forward neutral reverse gearbox with an electric motor. I don't even know of an electric cart with a gear box.

Just us a reversing contactor.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
Tinodesis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
You shouldn't need a forward neutral reverse gearbox with an electric motor. I don't even know of an electric cart with a gear box.

Just us a reversing contactor.
I have a series wound motor and Alltrax 7245 controller I was hoping to use. It's not a cart motor. It's a bit bigger, I think 7.5" diameter.

I'm trying to use all the parts I have collected to save money.

Tags
electric, me29
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!