lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Russia
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez-GO Won't start, fuel on the back side of the engine.

I had my 1987 Ezgo Marathon running for about 10 seconds after I did a top rebuild and it stopped and wouldn't start. It acts like it wants to start, but won't. There is gas on the back side of the engine after I try starting it. Any ideas?
Russia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ez-GO Won't start, fuel on the back side of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russia View Post
I had my 1987 Ezgo Marathon running for about 10 seconds after I did a top rebuild and it stopped and wouldn't start. It acts like it wants to start, but won't. There is gas on the back side of the engine after I try starting it. Any ideas?
I think you should stick to one thread. If you post several threads on the same issue, it is difficult to follow.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #3
Russia
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, I am still trying to figure out the right way to post on here. I have just been posting as I work on it and new issues arise. Should I still keep different(ish) issues within the same thread?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

After reading all of your threads, this is what I have figured out.

Your very first post was difficulty in removing the clutch, and messing up the threads on the crankshaft.

You broke the mounting ear off of your starter.

You rebuilt the top end. It won't start, and fuel is leaking at the rear of the engine.

You never said what the original problem was, and you never said why you were taking everything apart.

It looks like you gave up on the clutch, and just said, "hey the seals are good". Spraying starter fluid on the seals is not a sure fire way of checking them, and the engine has to actually be running for that test to work.

What did you do to fix the starter?

You rebuilt the top end. Fuel has to be leaking from either the carburetor area, or the fuel pump to get wet at the back of the engine. The head gasket could be leaking too. Did you check everything back there?

Did you install the piston the right way, and are the rings right side up?

Did you check the fuel pump diaphragms for tears?

What was the original issue?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Russia
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
After reading all of your threads, this is what I have figured out.

Your very first post was difficulty in removing the clutch, and messing up the threads on the crankshaft.

You broke the mounting ear off of your starter.

You rebuilt the top end. It won't start, and fuel is leaking at the rear of the engine.

You never said what the original problem was, and you never said why you were taking everything apart.

It looks like you gave up on the clutch, and just said, "hey the seals are good". Spraying starter fluid on the seals is not a sure fire way of checking them, and the engine has to actually be running for that test to work.

What did you do to fix the starter?

You rebuilt the top end. Fuel has to be leaking from either the carburetor area, or the fuel pump to get wet at the back of the engine. The head gasket could be leaking too. Did you check everything back there?

Did you install the piston the right way, and are the rings right side up?

Did you check the fuel pump diaphragms for tears?

What was the original issue?
----I have a Marathon parts cart that I pulled the starter from to replace the other one. I cant really see where the gas is leaking from, but the gas is falling onto the crank shaft where it comes out of the crankcase and is being spit around by the turning crank shaft and pulley. I was sure to install the piston and rings the right way...I had watched that video where the guy installed it the wrong way and caught himself, so I triple checked to be sure. I didn't check the fuel pump diaphragms for tears, so maybe that is what I will do next. The original problem was getting the clutch off so that I could replace the seals while I rebuilt the top half. I gave up on that when the clutch wouldn't budge. After, reinstalling the engine, it wouldn't start, so I finally figured out that the fuel shut off valve was closed. When I turned that on, the cart fired up for about 15 seconds, drove and then died. I am not sure if I should have only opened the fuel valve part way because I may have let too much gas in. When I tried to start it the next day (today), it fired up and drove, and then once again died after 15 seconds. Both times it was doing the gas thing on the back of the engine. Not sure what is going on...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO