lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
Chris69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Speed is the question!

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2013 ezgo txt 48v cart and was wondering if there is a way to make them go faster , I have seen people talk about " freedom code?" i'm not sure what that is . I am new to the cart scene and have lots to learn i'm sure. Thank you in advance !
Chris69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
bbbdale
Gone Wild

Default Re: Speed is the question!

This is a Freedom Chip.

Plugs into the 5 pin plug on the controller. Not sure if its an option on your year cart or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris69 View Post
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2013 ezgo txt 48v cart and was wondering if there is a way to make them go faster , I have seen people talk about " freedom code?" i'm not sure what that is . I am new to the cart scene and have lots to learn i'm sure. Thank you in advance !
The Freedom Chip in the above post is only for PDS drives.

The Freedom code is for TXT48 drives. With it, the top speed of a TXT48 can be increased to about 19.5MPH, unless it is a fleet model.

There is a way to up the speed even more by someone that has the needed software and skills.

OR, you can replace the Curtis 1206HB controller with an user programmable Alltrax XCT48x00-TXT48 controller. (Replace the x with a 3, 4 or 5 for a 300A, 400A or 500A version of the XCT)

Max speed with a 48V battery pack and 18" tall tires is about 24MPH.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is your cart otherwise stock?

I have 23" tires and a 6" lift. If you increase tire diameter you will reduce the amount of torque you have while increasing your top speed. But I would not go with a 6" lift again. If you are going to put on larger diameter wheels and tires I'd recommend getting as small a lift as possible to make them fit.

Most motors have a 6,000 RPM limit if you want them to live a long life. You can use the speed calculator to estimate what speeds you could theoretically reach. For me, I put in 6000 rpm, 12 for the final gear ratio (differential) and 23 for the tires it says I could get to 34mph. I am able to get to 32, so wind resistance, rolling resistance, etc means I don't get all the way there.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php

For me, I set my limit in the cart to 29mph, over 30 the cart feels unsafe. It feels squirrely over 27. But a shorter lift or smaller tires would make it feel more sturdy and others with the TXT48 have even reported the same lift/tires but theirs doesn't feel squirrely. Just know you have a narrow vehicle and a lift will raise the center of gravity so handling is going to be worse than stock at speed.

As Johnnie mentioned, the Alltrax controller is the most common upgrade. Get the 400 or 500 amp one. I have the 300 but I also have a 58v lithium battery pack so my cart is between 330 and 400 pounds lighter than your cart and a higher voltage, so the 300 works for me.

Lastly the lithium battery can absolutely increase your performance. If you have had your stock controller upgraded to freedom and go with a 58v max lithium pack it will work. Mine did. I ran it that way for 2 months and the acceleration was greatly improved due to weight loss and the top speed was increased due to increased voltage. I upgraded to the Alltrax and got more speed but with the Alltrax you can keep your regen braking. Which is important for me. My stock controller in freedom mode didn't have regen braking anymore.

Welcome to the addiction!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #5
Chris69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie , where do you get the freedom code ?
Old 09-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #6
Chris69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

30 mph on a cart !? **** that must be sketchy lol but fun at the same time !!
Old 09-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #7
Chris69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i know it has a lift and bigger tires , not sure what else is done if anything .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB4CBD34-C2CA-4211-9D2C-DD542D108134_1_201_a.jpg (179.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
Chris69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Is your cart otherwise stock?

I have 23" tires and a 6" lift. If you increase tire diameter you will reduce the amount of torque you have while increasing your top speed. But I would not go with a 6" lift again. If you are going to put on larger diameter wheels and tires I'd recommend getting as small a lift as possible to make them fit.

Most motors have a 6,000 RPM limit if you want them to live a long life. You can use the speed calculator to estimate what speeds you could theoretically reach. For me, I put in 6000 rpm, 12 for the final gear ratio (differential) and 23 for the tires it says I could get to 34mph. I am able to get to 32, so wind resistance, rolling resistance, etc means I don't get all the way there.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php

For me, I set my limit in the cart to 29mph, over 30 the cart feels unsafe. It feels squirrely over 27. But a shorter lift or smaller tires would make it feel more sturdy and others with the TXT48 have even reported the same lift/tires but theirs doesn't feel squirrely. Just know you have a narrow vehicle and a lift will raise the center of gravity so handling is going to be worse than stock at speed.

As Johnnie mentioned, the Alltrax controller is the most common upgrade. Get the 400 or 500 amp one. I have the 300 but I also have a 58v lithium battery pack so my cart is between 330 and 400 pounds lighter than your cart and a higher voltage, so the 300 works for me.

Lastly the lithium battery can absolutely increase your performance. If you have had your stock controller upgraded to freedom and go with a 58v max lithium pack it will work. Mine did. I ran it that way for 2 months and the acceleration was greatly improved due to weight loss and the top speed was increased due to increased voltage. I upgraded to the Alltrax and got more speed but with the Alltrax you can keep your regen braking. Which is important for me. My stock controller in freedom mode didn't have regen braking anymore.

Welcome to the addiction!
wow !!! this is all a foreign language to me lol , I cant wait to figure out what all of this means ! Thank you for all of the information , now time to decipher it ! What is regen braking anyways?
Old 09-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Johnnie , where do you get the freedom code ?
EZGO dealer.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
What is regen braking anyways?
Regen braking is when you let off the GO pedal and the motor turns into a generator charging your batteries and slowing your cart. Regen braking is only an option on Sepex or AC Drive carts (all newer carts are Sepex or AC).

My 2013 has the regen set so when I completely let off you can feel the deceleration, like mildly using the brakes. You can turn it up, turn it down or turn it off if you have an aftermarket Alltrax controller.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO