lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
drnoisewater
Not Yet Wild

Default Run/Tow Switch - Using Push Button Switches

I found some really nice Billet Push Button switches with the LED ring that I want to use in place of the Run/Tow toggle switch. My cart is a 2011 CCP with the Navitas AC conversion. The R/T switch is located in the dash at the moment. I have a 72v lead acid setup in the cart also.

Example of the Latching style switch I wanted to use,

https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/...17ad933c&_ss=r

Is this even doable? What relays would work best?
drnoisewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Run/Tow Switch - Using Push Button Switches

It seems as though that switch can perform 2 functions depending upon how it is wired.

I would not use it for 2 reasons. It looks pretty puny to me. Also, having to use a relay is just another thing to break down.

Is it even rated for 72 volts?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Doable with a considerable amount of work.
You would need dpdt 12v relays of about the 30 amp flavor, and would need to run those and the buttons off 12v supply to trigger the 72v feed to key switch inputs. And then I think you would need a separate switch or button to unlatch.

You could do it with something like an Arduino or some other electronics project kit, and then you would also likely need a 3 or 5v supply for that.

There are some kits on ebay/amazon with already made modules for a push button style switch, which you could use to run a standard relay and would be alot easier than trying to rig up your own circuit, unless youre into that type of thing.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Doable with a considerable amount of work.
You would need dpdt 12v relays of about the 30 amp flavor, and would need to run those and the buttons off 12v supply to trigger the 72v feed to key switch inputs. And then I think you would need a separate switch or button to unlatch.

You could do it with something like an Arduino or some other electronics project kit, and then you would also likely need a 3 or 5v supply for that.

There are some kits on ebay/amazon with already made modules for a push button style switch, which you could use to run a standard relay and would be alot easier than trying to rig up your own circuit, unless youre into that type of thing.
Exactly. I would not do it but if you want to...
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I did get your PM, just haven't had much time to dig around for links, products, etc.
The buttons you linked above are momentary push buttons and would require some extra wiring, relays etc. I do see they also have latching style buttons, but it appears they're only rated for 5 amps, which is pretty low, and I can't find any info on voltage rating.

These are rated for 10 amps and 250v which will more than satisfy the requirements for a 72v golf cart. https://www.amazon.com/APIELE-Latchi...8XLZKNJZ&psc=1
The LED has separate tabs which can be wired to the output of a voltage reducer.

These would be fine for Tow/Run switch operation, but that just makes an extra step to get the cart moving whenever you get on it. The Tow run switch shouldn't need to be actuated unless you are doing some kind of work on the cart, or putting it into long term/winter storage. The Tow/Run switch should ideally be isolated and mounted where it is not easily bumped or accessible while the cart is in operation. Depending on how your solenoid and controller are set up, bumping that while the cart is in operation can lead to some bad things happening.

They would be fine in place of the Key Switch if that's what you intended.

The modules I was talking about are keyless entry modules with a push button for engine start like for a car. There are dozens of different ones on amazon/ebay, and if you look around enough there are some videos of other similar setups being used on golf carts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

Using one relay your switch and the key switch you would turn the key switch on first that would power your switch push button when you push the push button it would latch the relay on powering the key switch holding the relay on when the key switch is turned off the relay would drop out
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
Iceberg62
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnoisewater View Post
I found some really nice Billet Push Button switches with the LED ring that I want to use in place of the Run/Tow toggle switch. My cart is a 2011 CCP with the Navitas AC conversion. The R/T switch is located in the dash at the moment. I have a 72v lead acid setup in the cart also.

Example of the Latching style switch I wanted to use,

https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/...17ad933c&_ss=r

Is this even doable? What relays would work best?
Did you ever come up with a solution? I’m looking into doing something similar and have all the same questions.
Iceberg62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car