lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
Steveslf
Not Yet Wild

Default Jumped the rack/pinion?

Hello all,
It was just a matter of time. My wife crashed the cart into the house, hitting a large plastic play house on the way (probably saved everyone from injury). I actually have in on a Ring camera archive for future viewing. (don't ask me to post it please)

The cart is a 1991 CC-DS with an all new 48V Scotty-B IQ upgrade, 6" lift and 20" tires. The cart will hit 30mph on a level road with enough torque to snap your head back.

The result of the "crash" seems to only be the rack & pinion assembly is now pushed to one side, allowing for only a very shallow left turn and a VERY generous right turn. I have not yet removed the steering mechanism hoping there is an easy fix. All other welds, bolts, and fittings seem to be in order. My question to you all is:
Do I need to replace the rack & pinion mechanism or can it be taken apart and reassembled closer to factory-middle? If I am taking it apart, should I dissemble the entire rack & pinion in place or is it a bench project?

The pics show the wheel at the end of a full left turn.

Thank you in advance for the assistance.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6291.jpg (216.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6936.jpg (132.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6937.jpg (169.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Steveslf; 09-18-2021 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: adding pics
Steveslf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: Jumped the rack/pinion?

I can't tell exactly in the picture but that passenger side spindle looks bent.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the rack allows movement both ways, it's probably not your problem. Check out the passenger side spindle as Scott quail suggested, but also the support bracket for the steering rack. Those often get bent when there is a front end hit. The tricky part is that the support bracket is designed to hold the steering rack at a slight angle anyway so it can be tough to tell without another, undamaged, cart to compare it with.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
Steveslf
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the input. I have a donor frame with the steering assembly still attached. I will compare the two in the morning. I have been prepping the donor frame to be the primary cart since the current frame had a slight bend to it that was not noticed until well into the build. It might be the right time to swap out the frame and take care of a few body details I did not get to when I was in a rush to get the cart going.
Steveslf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, crash, steering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car