lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Newbie Restoring a G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
Judging from the exhaust pipe, solenoids, and floor mats your car is a 1982
I agree, as I recall the 1982/J17 was the only muffler that hada heat sheild by the battery. The palstic inner rear fenders would be 81 and older. Those don't look to be stock Yamaha solenoids, be carefull when wireing the aftermarket ones up, they useually are backwards (normally open and normally closed are switched compared to Yami's). Did you turn the engine over to see if it was "frozen" or had some compression? I'd say more loke an hour of pressure washing Good luck on your project
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Alright here is my progress so far in the tear down.

Here is cleaned up shot of the engine if it may help identify what year it is. The relative I bought it off of said it was a 1982 but he is not sure.

And here is the best picture of the number on the engine I could get

ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Tonight (after the wife and kids go to bed) I plan on pulling the engine and removing the front cowling along with the rest of the wiring harness.

The engine does turn freely.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

OK. Mission accomplished. Engine is sitting on my garage floor and the front cowling is off. I also crushed my brand new can of WD-40 lowering the cart and got attacked by a cicada. The process hasn't been bad so far. Hardest thing was getting the front cowling off. Hard to reach places and lots of rusted bolts.

I'm still looking for serial number stamps. Both the right and left sides of the bumper have been welded over so there is no serial number.

The engine turns and appears to have good compression. The wiring harness will definitely have to be replaced. Lots of rust on the frame and will need some more welding than I was planning on. I'm far from the worlds best welder. Might have to make a run to Harbor Freight and see what they have in the welder department. Any suggestions?

Is there any particular area or part that I could take a picture of to help determine the year of the cart?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #15
chompy
Getting Wild

The only place that a serial number is stamped on the frame on an 82 is under the bumper. If that is gone then you can only date your cart on the design of the components of your vehicle. You can bet that your cart is an 82 though. That particular exhaust is only used on the 82. Your cart has no exhaust valve linkage. The 82 has no exhaust valve linkage. Your intake has no boost bottle or intake for it. The boost bottle was added in 83. In 82 and later models Yamaha added plastic fenders which yours are. Your solenoids are the newer Yamaha type added in 82. I can't tell by the pictures but if the front cowl is plastic then that is another indicator that it is an 82 but those are changed easily. Fiberglass was used on 81 and eariler. The serial number prefix designation for that model was J17. Look for that prefix on some of the parts like the solenoids.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I guess I will stick with 1982 unless I find the stamp somewhere else. Going to be working on getting the frame apart for sanding and grinding. also will be looking for a service and repair manual.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Stand behind the cart and look around the area where the top shock mounts are welded on, I had G1s that #s were stamped into that tube and very hard to see, painted over, it was factory that way. They were early 80s carts but not sure what year maybe 79-84 range.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Found the stamp on the engine! It had been painted over and I couldn't see it until I had it out on my bench.

J17-004566

Now time to find a service manual. I have found several for 1983 and above but not for the 1982. Is there a major difference in the model years or could I get by with the 1983 service manual?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The 82 engine is different from all the rest iirc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
The 82 engine is different from all the rest iirc.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I've been scouring the internet for a wiring harness and found one that starts with part number J27-. I'm assuming this is for 83 and above from what I see on the yamahagolfcars site, but will this one work with mine? If not I may try to salvage the one I have even though it is in pretty bad shape.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha