lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1992 G9 No Spark

Well, fishing kinda sucked, only enough for dinner, which I shouldn't shake a stick at I guess.

Got the harness stripped of tape. I notice that some parts of the harness are/were tape, some parts shrink tube type.

Found no burns, shorts or other physical damage. Most all end to end connections are 1 ohm or less. Crimped junctions (red + & black -) offer a little more resistance, but that's expected.

Sad but true, looks like it may be an igniter (CDI/TDI or whatever the component config is) may be shot. The shop my dad bought the buggy from promised no diagnostic time added on top of component & R&R cost. Hopefully they'll also buy back the coil my dad bought. If they aren't nice I won't give back the Yamaha Ultima service manual they let my dad, LOL (j/k).

Gonna grab up some loom, put it all back together, wire the lights correctly to a negative bus (like my boats) and run it down to that shop. Without the spare parts here to test, I'm, at this point, at a loss.

I wanna thank all you BGW folks for helping, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately, this one looses my grasp before finality.

I do, however, plan on getting a buggy of my own here. Working on this one kinda got me buggy bit :) Mine will have a hard time staying stock (e.g. 30hp of something, lol).

Thanks
K
pYr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Hi All-
Well, I talked to the shop yesterday, they couldn't get it running either
I'm going to pick it up today (as promised, no $$ if they didn't get it running, that's cool) and start digging back into the mystery. They say they swapped out everything they could think of, I'll grill them before leavin & take notes.
There's pics of what I've done so far, I'll get them posted and go from there
Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am no expert for sure, but I did stay at a Holiday INN..........

It does sound like the ignitor. That is the main brain of the electrical circuit. Not sure if they replaced it or not, but well worth a try. That may explain no spark.

I feel your pain. I have replaced just about everything on my G8, except the ignitor, and the coil.

Good luck
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Got the buggy back. Talked to the mechanic that worked on it & he says he (temporarily) replaced all electrical components at the same time & still got no spark with all new components. I'm not sure how this can be.

They gave me the number of a guy a few counties away that may be able to get it going but I'm determined to figure it out here. If anyone has input, please chime in. This is a stubborn one! Going to off load it from the truck now...
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Hi kev-

Yeah, they say they had the igniter, pickup coil, primary coil, solenoid, starter/gen and voltage regulator swapped out plus an additional block to batt. neg. cable. Still no love. Weird huh?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Sounds like a wiring issue, though not everyone has a spare ignitor laying around he could have lied about that. I've also had the plug foul and not fire until I started using the newer style ngk2 for newer carts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Is that newer plug the NG5 BPR2ES?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #28
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Back working on the G9.

I was just checking all grounds using my test lamp & ran across something. With the clip on the batt. pos. I get a light on the primary coil orange and red/white from the igniter as well as the black. I checked the voltage (DMM red to batt. pos., black to wires) full battery juice, indicating a closed circuit (grounded). I rolled the motor over to see if I could get it to change when it hit the gap in the rotor, no change.

I'm not sure, but this sounds wrong to me. Has anyone else run this test on a working buggy?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #29
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

pyr8, I'm feeling your pain !! Gonna jump back in here to see if I can help. I don't have any hands on experience, but will try to help make some sense of this with the wiring diagram. You touched on this same problem back in your post #16 when you measured only 11.something volts on the orange wire. You should have full battery voltage on the orange wire. Here's what I think is happening. I think your CDI may be shorted internally causing current to flow through the coil primary ( the voltage loss is probably across the coil primary plus other wiring due to this current flow). Try this; go back and measure the voltage again on the orange wire to see if it is still 11.something. Now unplug the cdi and see if the voltage on the orange wire (cart side) goes back up to bat. +. (I think it will, at least it should!). Now, while the cdi is unplugged, do an ohmmeter test from the orange wire to the black wire out of the cdi. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this orn. wire goes directly to the cdi discharge capacitor inside the cdi. You should read infinity on this ohm test. Any ohm reading here would indicate that the discharge capacitor plus other components are bad. This capacitor works very hard and is a weak spot in these cdi's.

Bottom line, Your cdi may be shot. FWIW, I looked in the G9 service manual for any ignitor (cdi) tests. There are none!! They have you test resistances of the ignition coil, the pulse coil, and the spark plug cap. If those all test ok the next step is: replace the ignitor (cdi). Let me know if you need the service manual and I can send it. Let me know what you find, I can't believe the cart mechanics failed on this one. - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 07-22-2013 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: corrected
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #30
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks bigstik, I'll get working on it again a little later today & try that out. I have a feeling the shop fell down on the job, as you noted. If they truely swapped out all electrical components at the same time there should have been no reason not to get spark, IMO. At least it was a no charge transaction...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha