lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Probably Did Something Stupid

Well, this will expose how little I really know. The answer is probably already here somewhere, and I did look for it. But not sure I really found it. I'll keep looking, but until I find it...

I am checking for loose battery connections and found one battery (in the middle) that looked like I should maybe remove and clean the connection. So I removed the two cables - no problem. Wire brushed everything. Then put one cable on.

But while putting the second cable on, it sparked. Not a large spark. Stupid me, so I thought - I had the key turned on. But nothing sparked when removing it. So I turned the key off and tried again - and it sparked again when first trying to tighten the nut.

You can probably guess my question. Did I miss something important that everyone else knows here as just common sense?

(Note: TXT 36v - no re-gen brakes)
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Probably Did Something Stupid

OK, I think I eventually found the answer to my own question. And I guess it is just common basic knowledge, so isn't emphasized. That is, flip the Tow Switch to Tow. This solved the sparking problem. But I don't know why it didn't spark as I was removing the cables - and turning the nuts with bare fingers. :)

As long as I am asking stupid questions, here is another.

I always thought these small "beads" were from the seat. But on careful inspection I don't see where the could have fallen from the seat. These were there when I bought this. But since I am cleaning things up now, I thought I would take a pic and ask if they are anything worth noting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BatteryBeads.jpg (360.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your cart is a series connection unit. That is, the total voltage is created by connecting x number of batteries together. The method of connection is positive to negative to positive, etc. This is called, "wired in series". It continues around in a circle, through the controller et al, to the motor and eventually back to the battery pack. That is called a circuit.
The key is not a make or break part of the circuit. But, when you touched the second terminal to the post, you completed a circuit and as it happens, any weak connection is a circuit will spark, (arc).
So, no. In the purest sense, you didn't do anything wrong. You just didn't do it completely. If you have the nut tight now, there should be no issue. Check the pack voltage, just to be sure. If it's right, you're good.

If I spoke beneath your knowledge, I apologize.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I've never seen anything like that black powder on batteries before-weird.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The picture you show looks like arcing to me. It is likely one of those two terminals. Check each of the wires/cables to ensure they are not chaffed, (bare) or otherwise shorting out somewhere. Make sure those connectors are tight and have full contact with the whole wire/cable. If the wire or cable is partially broken, that could create the arcing.
Do you have any electrical test equipment? Purchase of a good digital VOM, (Volt, Ohm meter), would be a good idea if not already available.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Initially I was thinking arching too, but upon closer inspection I think your previous owner is missing some poppy seed.

Okay I'll bite.... remove the nut and send us another pic of the post and the ring terminals bolted there..... if that much material is the product of arching then it's missing from somewhere
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Initially I was thinking arching too, but upon closer inspection I think your previous owner is missing some poppy seed.

Okay I'll bite.... remove the nut and send us another pic of the post and the ring terminals bolted there..... if that much material is the product of arching then it's missing from somewhere
Dayum Scotty! I didn't think of that. :)

Enlarge his photo. It looks like some pretty serious burning going on where the two connectors touch.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
Your cart is a series connection unit. That is, the total voltage is created by connecting x number of batteries together. The method of connection is positive to negative to positive, etc. This is called, "wired in series". It continues around in a circle, through the controller et al, to the motor and eventually back to the battery pack. That is called a circuit.
The key is not a make or break part of the circuit. But, when you touched the second terminal to the post, you completed a circuit and as it happens, any weak connection is a circuit will spark, (arc).
So, no. In the purest sense, you didn't do anything wrong. You just didn't do it completely. If you have the nut tight now, there should be no issue. Check the pack voltage, just to be sure. If it's right, you're good.

If I spoke beneath your knowledge, I apologize.
Thanks, and no apologies necessary. But I did understand most of that. I guess I just didn't understand
1) why it didn't spark when I loosened and removed the nut?
2) is it normal for there to be a spark when connecting the last connection in a series?

I am assuming now that the answer to #2 is "no" - unless there is some load on the circuit somewhere. And flipping the switch to "Tow" effectively takes everything out of the equation.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Regarding the "poppy seed." I will do as suggested, but I did read somewhere that beads can form from arcing - and that is why I asked. But I assumed I would easily see (without removing anything) if that was the case - because of the amount. But it is close to a terminal.

Let me throw out an unorthodox theory for everyone's entertainment. How does this sound?

On closer inspection, I can see some of these isolated beads randomly on the tops of some of the other batteries. If it wasn't for the color, I would have thought they were termite droppings from the wood of the seat. But the seat gives no indication of anything where the biggest piles are.

So, I was thinking this might have been parked with the seat up in one of the older farm buildings from where I bought this - because termites are very common around here in older buildings. And the color isn't right because of the chemical environment on top of the batteries and/or the type of exotic uncommon woods sometimes used in older Hawaiian construction.

Any takers on my theory? (I will disconnect, examine, and take some pics for those who think my theory is wacky - and I realize it is)
Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking some type of roach....
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO