lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
donnie587
Not Yet Wild

Default do i need to buy an upgraded motor?

hey guys, im a noob to all the cart stuff,so I was wondering, I have acquired a 2001 36v series cart with lift kit,and back seat bed attachment. was wanting to know if I had to upgrade motor to get more out if it. thanks
donnie587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: do i need to buy an upgraded motor?

It depends on what you are going to use the cart for and what kind of performance you want to get.

You mentioned the cart was lifted, so it probably has tires taller than stock (18"), which means the cart has less than stock torque.

You can regain most or all and then some of the stock torque at the low end by installing a controller that will pass more amps than the stock 275A controller.

You can gain both speed and torque (throughout the RPM range) by upping the 36V battery pack to 42V or 48V.

A stock 36V series motor will handle up to a 500A controller and up to a 48V battery pack okay.

If the tires are really tall and/or the loads are really heavy and/or steep hills, you may need more motor.

Tells us more about the cart and what you want to do with it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
donnie587
Not Yet Wild

The only thing different with the tires is they are dirt devils they are still stock size on 8 inch wheels. Other than that it is a stock cart. I am curious about the 42v setup because the batteries are 2 week old Duracell. What is involved in adding another battery. Has to be cheaper than a 500 dollar motor. As far as use, I don't plan on rock climbing but I do live in the country.
donnie587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Rims size doesn't matter, it's tire height that what counts.

I did a quick google on Dirt Devil tires and found 22x11-8 at Amazon and there might be taller ones out there that fit on 8" rims.

The size numbers on the sidewall are notoriously inaccurate, so at least measure the height with level and a yardstick.

While you are at it, check the max inflation pressure stamped on the sidewall, hopefully it is above 15PSI. (Low pressure tires take more torque to turn.)

Since the batteries are only a couple weeks old, the seventh battery will blend in well with the six original one, but changing the battery pack voltage will also require changing the stock 36V controller, the stock 36V solenoid and the 36V battery charger.

Also, a 2001 EZGO probably has 6Ga high current cables and they need to be at least 4Ga (all 13 of them --- 14 with seven batteries)

The bottom line is that you need to upgrade the amp deliver system (everything between the battery pack and motor), or you won't get much, if any, improvements from a different motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO