lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
reynamwit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 TXT Overhaul Project

So not knowing anything about golf carts I purchased a used cart off of Cl. The main purpose for the cart is for my family and I to cruise around our campground. It was the second cart I looked at in my price range $1000-$1500. Compared to the first one I looked at, it ran much better and was in better condition (on the outside) so I went with it. Barring a few minor issues like sub-par batteries and a bad tire valve stem it ran good and my wife and kids love it. I ran it for three weekends before my camp closed for the year and I planned on keeping it in my garage over the winter.

I knew it needed a break job so I put it up on stands ordered the parts and got ready to dig in. My goal for this cart was to do the bare minimum and keep it running for camp. After my attempt at a $40 dollar brake job I realized that it would require much more to keep it in good running order as well as safe for next year. As the story goes with any old piece of outdoor equipment in the northeast a minor repair can cascade into performing a major overhaul, hence me creating this post. Additionally, I have a hard time completing a repair if I know the component right behind it could fail at a later date.

It started with brake pads then brake cluster, then rear springs, then rear shocks, followed by battery tray, seat frame, Front springs, and front shocks. I realized even with 7 months until this thing can be used again there is a lot of work that needs to be done, not to mention limited free time, money and the impending doom of a fast approaching northeast winter. I have decided to limit this year’s punch list to brake clusters, rear springs, rear shocks, battery tray and seat frame.

I have just about ordered all the parts and hardware that I need to perform phase 1. I’ll wait and see what Phase 2 will consist of, I think it will be front shocks and springs and possibly controller and electronics, but they will have to wait until next year. I will have to assess the steering when I get close to doing the front suspension as there is nothing concerning about it at this time.

The focus of the overhaul is to keep it mostly stock because of its intended use. My children are 2 and 4 so they don’t weigh much, the camp is flat and is littered with children, foot traffic and speed bumps so in my opinion huge speed and torque increases will go unused. I’ve added a rear seat so I upgraded the rear springs and I plan on upgrading the controller and solenoid to a 4 or 5 hundred amp system as the kids get a little bigger. At this point custom paint and shiny wheels are not in the plan, besides as soon as I get a sweet paint job on it one of my kids will put a nice scratch on it.

I plan on frequently posting new pictures to this thread to track the progress.
Since I didn’t plan on this being such an epic task, I didn’t take pictures during the very beginning stages. Here is the first batch to get us caught up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0854.jpg (214.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0982.jpg (172.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0985.jpg (171.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0984.jpg (129.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0989.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
reynamwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
reynamwit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 TXT Overhaul Project

Here is the progress from last night.
This thing is DIRTY.
Before I install the new parts I plan on grinding the rust off of and painting sections of the under carriage and frame. I will be using Rust Stop paint.
As a side note: I had to cut off or drill out almost every single bolt so far, not a difficult task but its still a pain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.jpg (150.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.jpg (146.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0991.jpg (170.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0992.jpg (209.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

For starters, get yourself some Aero Kroil and apply to every nut, bolt and screw you can find on the 14 year old cart.
http://www.kanolabs.com/index.html
(Can be found in local hardware and auto parts stores, etc. --- Amazon has it as well as other on-line stores.)
I've been using both the spray and the liquid type Kroil for years and rarely have to break out a drill of a Sawzall. For the really rusted threads, let it work overnight.

One very important thing I didn't see on your to-do list is replacing the high current cables.
The cables seen in the pictures appear to be OEM and may only be 6Ga. Replace all ten of them with 4Ga or heavier.

In case you don't have them, you can download the Owner, the Service and the Parts manuals here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
They are the three PDF file near the top of the page.

Don't hesitate to ask questions during your project.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
reynamwit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input, I'm halfway through the cable upgrade, I have the set for the batt side, Just need to get the length on the others, my local welding supply shop will make up custom cables.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Another thing missing from the to-do list is changing the oil in the differential.

You have to drop the pan to do it.

EZGO used SAE 30 motor oil, but I use Lucas 85W-140 gear oil, which has about the same viscosity, but is formulated for lubrication gears instead of internal combustion engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gear oil vs Motor oil Viscosity.jpg (34.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
reynamwit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I've made some progress on my 01 TXT referb project. Here is what I have installed so far

Brake Clusters
Brake Cables
Rear Springs (Went with the HD Dual Action from DIY Golf Cart Garage. Thanks for the phone support)
Battery tray
Seat frame
Solenoid (SD)
4AWG power cables
Gear Oil Change

The biggest pain was having to cut off all of the frozen bolts. I did pick up a can of Kroil but it was of no use because most of the nuts were rusted round. I got a couple off using a pair of vice grips and an impact driver but still a pain.

Another un-pleasant but necessary activity was cleaning off the caked on mud and wire brushing the rusty areas of the frame and repainting using Rust Stop paint.

Also drilling out the old rivets was not fun but not impossible.

All the parts that I have purchased bolted on relatively easy, So no issue there.

The original solenoid functioned fine but the can was rusted. A replacement was short money and I was changing out the Battery cables anyway.

I didn't drop the oil pan to the trans axle. Judging on the condition of the bolts and possibility of re-gasketing, I felt as though I could dodge a bullet by going in through the fill hole. I bought a 6$ dollar siphon pump and stuck it in the check/fill hole. The siphon was a p.o.s and basically a one time use. I messed around with it and ended up cutting the hoses super short to allow the oil to flow a little better but still painfully slow. I got the siphon going, zip tied it to the axle then worked on something else while it drained slowly. I took a piece of the cut hose and attached to the top of the bottle, stuck the other end of the hose into the fill hole and squeezed the bottle until oil starting flowing out of the fill hole. A bit messy but it worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1023.jpg (253.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1037.jpg (153.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1038.jpg (181.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1039.jpg (200.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0840.jpg (121.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

She is starting to look a bit better! I hate rust!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO