lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #1
tman7078
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2012 RXV flickering LED lights after installing a reducer

I connected the black to - battery pack and red to + battery pack and yellow to large connector on solenoid opposite the connector that goes to the + of the battery. I get power to fuse block and all accessories work but my new lights flicker badly when it is being driven, there is no flickering when not moving. The lights are led and it's almost like a strobe light when it's is being driven.

I have 50.1 volts at connector on the solenoid when key is on and get 12.73 at the fuse block when key is on. I connected to the connector that has the red alligator clip on it.

Any suggestions on why my cart is a strobe light?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.7 KB, 0 views)
tman7078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2012 RXV flickering LED lights after installing a reducer

LEDs are strange things. I know it's unrelated, but I bought LED flood lights for my deck. Installed them with a dimmer. They strobe at all settings except full on. (Both the lights and dimmer are made for dimming LED.) when I called the manufactures, both said that they don't work with all LEDs/dimmers. So why don't they say that on the packages?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That sounds like some source of interference from the controller. By the way, be very careful with that alligator clip! If you short something out you will make a mess.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just a thought but that looks like an RXV controller which would be an AC cart so there may be some noise coming into the converter or the LEDs themselves may be picking it up. I had a 08 RXV that had an MP3 amp that would have a slight squeal when driving the cart. Dead silent when stopped.. If you have other accessories on does it flicker ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
RXV Dawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What type of LED lights are you running?

I have a Madjax reducer and Madjax LED headlights and don't have any issues with flickering or strobing.
RXV Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Who's reducer? I use Surepower & DPI convertors, never had that problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #7
tman7078
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I purchased the reducer from ScottyB at Carts Unlimited. I may trying hooking up my voltmeter and see how much it fluctuates when driving. Also heard of a bridge rectifier converts AC to DC and cleans up the noise. Don't have one, so I don't if I try that or not.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
tman7078
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

RXV Dawg, where did you connect your switched wire to on the reducer?
On one of the solenoid lugs?
I just drove it with the multimeter on it and it fluctuated from 12.75 down to 11.85 at times. I think this is what is causing the flickering
Old 03-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Voltage variation on the trigger wire would not cause the 12v output to change, it would turn the converter on/off if too low.

That is more indicative of a voltage drop on the 48v input side of the Converter (I am assuming You are not turning ON any additional accessories just when running).

Make sure Your + and - 48v input to the converter are connected to the actual pack positive and negative, the connections are good and the wire gauge is at least 14ga.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
tman7078
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sergio, I am definitely on the + & - of the battery pack, the connections are clean and tight. I did use 16 gauge wire to wire the red, black and yellow and not running any other accessories. The readings that where fluctuating where on the fuse block for the lights only. Should I check the readings on the input side of the fuse block? Sergio are you saying the fluctuating voltage isn't causing the led to flicker? What other test could I do to resolve this issue?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO