lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool Concerned over my reversing contactor

I bought a reversing contactor from Scottyb a couple of months ago. I still havnt put it on the cart. I'm terrified that if I put the switch where the old lever was, that my 4 year old daughter, that rides in the middle, will bump the switch while hauling butt down the pavement. Since I don't have plug brakes, I assume that it would not be good situation if it slams into reverse. Am I right? Should I put the switch on the dash or somewhere away from little restless legs?
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Concerned over my reversing contactor

If you bought a reversing contactor then you can put the actual switch almost anywhere you wish as it is nothing more than a small simple switch and a couple wires. You could also get one of the FUN old flip-up RED guards as used in the aviation industry to prevent accidental usage. I did this with my TOW/RUN switch as I didn't like it under the seat...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Do get a switch that can't be accidentally flipped while driving!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Lightbulb Re: Concerned over my reversing contactor

I have my contactor and switch waiting to be installed too. I'm planning on installing my switch with it facing down, so you have to reach under the mounting pod to get to the actual switch. That way, I can just lay my hand over the pod and select the direction. It should be more sheltered from accidental reversing. I have a 3 year old, so I wanted to make it harder for him too. I still worry on the other cart (PDS) about him lunging at the F/R on the dash, but that one has the plug braking setup, so it won't be as traumatic for the passengers.
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the direction selected is change while a series drive cart is in motion, the motor locks up unless the controller has plug braking, so the F/R switch should be protected from accidental changes, especially with small children onboard.

The switch can be placed anywhere it can be mounted and you can get three wires to it.

The switch itself is a single pole, double throw with center off. Pack voltage is connected to the switch and 3A to 5A flow through it momentarily while the contactors energize, settling down to about 1A continuous, so there are a lot of switches out there that will work.

---------
Another option would be to use the supplied F/R switch and add a momentary contact switch in the reverse wire between the F/R switch and the contactor assembly. Something like a floor mounted horn button.

To go in reverse, the F/R has to be in "R" and the button pushed.
At a later date, when the young one is older, the momentary contact switch could be taken out of the circuit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good thinking my 2.5 year old loves buttons and this has been my worry if I had a FnR button. Now I got the reversing contactor and didn't think about it till I just read your post. Think I may mount it upside down as well.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post
I have my contactor and switch waiting to be installed too. I'm planning on installing my switch with it facing down, so you have to reach under the mounting pod to get to the actual switch. That way, I can just lay my hand over the pod and select the direction. It should be more sheltered from accidental reversing. I have a 3 year old, so I wanted to make it harder for him too. I still worry on the other cart (PDS) about him lunging at the F/R on the dash, but that one has the plug braking setup, so it won't be as traumatic for the passengers.
This is the best option.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I like the idea of installing it upside down. Thanks y'all.
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO