lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: ez go cart slows almost to a stop

thanks I will try again
boandbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Do I need to drive it in diagnostic mode until it acts up? How long should I drive it in diagnostic mode? Thanks again...
Old 09-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Drive it until it acts up and gives you a fault code.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I drove it after a full charge for about 1 hour off and on. It ran fine with no problem.
I decided to drive in the grass in my yard and then I got the code 2 - 3. I do not know if the grass made it code or not because it has done this before when not on the grass. The code says Thermal Cutback / allow controller to cool, check heat sink bolt torque. What does check heat sink bolt torque mean. I know what torque of a bolt is but not sure what it is telling me. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The bolts that hold the controller to the finned heatsink. They don't really come loose. I think you have either a failing controller, or a overloading condition (the excess burden could be too much weight, too big tires, dragging brakes, or a motor problem). Those are just examples. You didn't say how you are using it, tire size, etc. I wonder how clean & how much surface prep was done prior to installing those new controllers. The stock heatsink thermal interface pad was not designed for reuse. A similar comparison is like the Arctic silver compound use in high performance PCs, VS the cheap pad used on stock PCs, the original pad was only mediocre & intended to be installed once & never seen again for the life of the unit. A good prep job Plus a good thermal interface material would do a better job. This might sound like nerd overkill, but every few degrees is big for high performance PCs, and a botched job is a worse deal than the original "so-so" materials. (nerd alert- yes I have flattened cpu & heatsinks to mirror finishes, P4 & Core 2 were terrible stock, not saying golf cart controllers need to be that perfect).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #16
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, the cart is lifted and has larger than stock tires. I have had it since 2007. The controller went bad and was replaced recently. The heat sink was not replaced. This problem happens only at slow speeds when it has been riding for a while. When it happens the battery meter is still high and the voltage on the pack is above 37 volts. Do I need to change the heat sink? Will a small 12v fan work to help? Thanks for your help, just trying not to buy another cart.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #17
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What controller was installed at time of replacement? If it was a stock controller, that is the problem. The lift and especially the larger tires are calling for an increase in amperage at slow speeds and the increase in demand is causing the controller to overheat.

Stock controllers are rated at 225 amps I believe for the PDS model. That cart (with the lift and tires) really needs a minimum of 400 amp controller. 500 amp would even be better because of the low speed driving. you are also going to have to play with your throttle curve a bit.

As an example, I had a hospital that has several large shuttles (8 and 10 passenger). They creep around the parking lot picking up people and transporting them to the front door. We installed a 500 amp GE controller in one of them and they were constantly overheating the unit causing it to go into thermal cutback. We tried EVERYTHING to stop it from happening. 1/2 inch thick aluminum heatsink, custome made chill plate, multiple fans..... you name it, we tried it. The final solution (because it was a GE controller) was to install a half speed switch that cut the throttle signal in half but left the controller thinking it was "full throttle". This allowed the controller to believe it was operating at 100% even though in reality it wasn't, yet still allow them to go full speed by simply flipping the switch when needed.

In your case, Alltrax has built this feature into their controllers and you can get the controller from ScottyB with the program on the fly add on to limit the current for when you are creeping around.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you've got a stock PDS controller feeding a stock PDS motor and turning tires that are taller than stock at slow speeds. Also sounds like the original (one time use) thermal mat was reused when the stock PDS controller was replaced with another stock PDS controller.

A stock PDS controller was designed for a cart with 18" tall tires with 12.44:1 gears in the differential. If you go much taller in tire height or numerically lower with the gear ratio, no amount of heat sinking will keep a stock PDS controller from overheating and eventually failing, especially if cart is driven slowly.

Also, the stock PDS motor generates a lot of heat when turning at low RPM and taller tires lower the motor RPM at any given speed, worsening the amount of motor heat generated. However, the stock PDS motor is far more tolerant of taller tires than a stock PDS controller is and plays well together with tires up to around 20" or so.

Since you mentioned the cart is lifted, I suspect the tires are taller than 20", so in addition to burning out stock PDS controllers, you may have a motor heat issue also.

What is your tires size?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A fan could potentially help - so would an ice pack.

Newer controls have built in cooling fans like your PC. Also over sizing the control seems to help reduce heat buildup. But basically extended slow operation on big tires is going to create excessive heat in both the motor and control and it's just a matter of time before one or the other fails.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #20
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

thanks for all the comments. I will have to look and see which controller is installed and get back to you, I'm sure that it is stock. It did not do this with the old controller, not sure what that was either, someone else changed it for me. My tire size is 22's. The problem does happen when going slow. Thanks,
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO