lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
gatorsc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Club Car Shuddering

I've got a 48 voltClub Car AQ0406-366963.
I replaced all 6 batteries a month ago. Terminals are tight and clean. (8 volt US Batteries)
I replaced the MCOR about a year and a half ago. This past summer I upgraded to an Alltrax XCT500.
A few days ago I drove the cart out from under my shed, loaded some trash on it and went to drive off and it just shudders, not moving. The battery pack gauge is showing 50.2 volts, even while pressing accelerator or turning lights on. I confirmed pack voltage with meter, and checked while under load of accelerator. I checked each battery, 8.4-8.3 volts on all, even under load of accelerator.
On the XCT500, while switched on green light. When accelerator is pressed, (during shudder) the LED flashes one green, 2 red indicating low battery voltage.
I'm stuck on this on because my meter is showing me 50.2 volts leaving the battery pack, but the controller is showing low voltage fault.
After using the forum's search option I was thinking it was a battery issue, but last night again I checked all 6 batteries and had the same results. I do have access to a battery load tester, 6 or 12 volt. I wasn't sure if load testing 8 volts would be accurate. In the past I've had bad batteries, but they read low 4.2 and cart reacted differently.
I've tried to be through as possible, any help would be appreciated!!

Forgot to add--- Solenoid is closing

Last edited by gatorsc; 01-19-2017 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Added info
gatorsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Shuddering

Check the cables between battery and controller and make sure the solenoid is closing.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The cart is the BEST load tester. Put the meter on the pack and try to go. What is the voltage dropping to under load? If no drop - check the solenoid is clicking like Sergio said. If it is check all cable end connections - there are 20 of them in the cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Forgot to add--- Solenoid is closing
Put your voltmeter on each Solenoid big post and make sure the voltage is 0v when you hear the solenoid "click".

Since You get a good pack voltage and the Controller logic is working (Leds blink), the only cable that could cause that issue is the one between the Solenoid and the Controller B+.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
gatorsc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Picked up the drop in voltage on B+ terminal (39.8 volts) All the battery connections looked good, but after going through them, loosing-cleaning-tightening back, the cart is back on the move.
As always thanks guys!!!
gatorsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
Bowins
Not Yet Wild

Wink Re: Club Car Shuddering

Thanks for the help folks. Read through a ton of posts and was convinced my MCOR was bad. Until today. I checked the fluid level in my batteries. They weren't dry, but they were just damp. A gallon of distilled water and I'm all sorted. When i originally had this issue, it was reported to me by my wife as no power and grinding. Without testing it myself, i diagnosed and contrived a plan. So, as my experience with golf carts was nil, i automatically thought transmission. So, checked out a new tranny for $900. Well, i figured that for $900 on a golf cart i paid $100 for i could rebuild it myself. I did, over a year. From the bearings out, transmission is brand new. But, still the same issue. A couple bumps along the way but three days ago, i took my maiden voyage on my new transmission and new brakes to no avail, still no power. Knew, having some experience with it now and resolved zero issues in the transmission, that it was a power issue. So i checked all 6 batteries which were showing about 7.5v which seemed like 'enough'. Looked through some searches to figure out where the solenoid was - although it makes an audible click. Located the MCOR and the controller. And thought, someone commented about checking the fluid in the battery, it was quick and it was cheap. So I did. they were low, ran up to the local Walgreens and picked up 2 gallons of distilled water. Automagically, batteries jumped to 8.4 volts. Left it on the charger for a couple hours and just vroomed up and down the driveway without issue. you folks were a huge help and i just wanted to share what i found and to thank you for convincing me to use Occam's Razor - the simplest solution is usually the right one. As an engineer many years ago, i know how to troubleshoot, as a current manager i decided to rely on my skills of negotiation rather than years of practice. That should teach me. Thanks again all.
Bowins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Remember 1/4" to no more then 1/2" over the plates is a good level.

If you have a 48v with a Powerdrive charger, be sure you are letting it fully charge until it cuts off.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowins View Post
Thanks for the help folks. Read through a ton of posts and was convinced my MCOR was bad. Until today. I checked the fluid level in my batteries. They weren't dry, but they were just damp. A gallon of distilled water and I'm all sorted. When i originally had this issue, it was reported to me by my wife as no power and grinding. Without testing it myself, i diagnosed and contrived a plan. So, as my experience with golf carts was nil, i automatically thought transmission. So, checked out a new tranny for $900. Well, i figured that for $900 on a golf cart i paid $100 for i could rebuild it myself. I did, over a year. From the bearings out, transmission is brand new. But, still the same issue. A couple bumps along the way but three days ago, i took my maiden voyage on my new transmission and new brakes to no avail, still no power. Knew, having some experience with it now and resolved zero issues in the transmission, that it was a power issue. So i checked all 6 batteries which were showing about 7.5v which seemed like 'enough'. Looked through some searches to figure out where the solenoid was - although it makes an audible click. Located the MCOR and the controller. And thought, someone commented about checking the fluid in the battery, it was quick and it was cheap. So I did. they were low, ran up to the local Walgreens and picked up 2 gallons of distilled water. Automagically, batteries jumped to 8.4 volts. Left it on the charger for a couple hours and just vroomed up and down the driveway without issue. you folks were a huge help and i just wanted to share what i found and to thank you for convincing me to use Occam's Razor - the simplest solution is usually the right one. As an engineer many years ago, i know how to troubleshoot, as a current manager i decided to rely on my skills of negotiation rather than years of practice. That should teach me. Thanks again all.
O.R., S.P.C, and K.I.S.S. go hand in hand.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car