lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
LouisC
Getting Wild

Red face question about wiring

I'm finally starting my project and find the reducer 12v wires were wired to the harness. I'm putting in a fuse block - so I cut both wires and connecting them to the + and - of the block. Question now is: do I have to run wires back to the harness? The original installer of the reducer and light kit hooked it up this way...I'm just a little confused as to; does the harness have power?
LouisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: question about wiring

You need to trace it out and see what it is feeding, but if it was there, you would think it was feeding an accessory or something so I would wire it back in from one of the fuses in your new block. More importantly, you need to see what it is feeding so you correctly amp the fuse for the circuit.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
LouisC
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You need to trace it out and see what it is feeding, but if it was there, you would think it was feeding an accessory or something so I would wire it back in from one of the fuses in your new block. More importantly, you need to see what it is feeding so you correctly amp the fuse for the circuit.
The positive side where the 12v wire was connected to the harness had an inline fuse before and a 20amp blade fuse after the connection. My 3 & 4 batteries are out of the cart right now. Before I decided to install a fuse block (in order to install more 12v accessories) all the connections (lights) front & rear worked fine. I'm thinking of going back from to fuse block to the wires I cut - just to be safe...Just didn't know if I had to...
Old 04-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Without tracing (or probing) the connections there is no way to be certain, but one would assume that it (the connection) was powering something and without it you will be missing something....
Old 04-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
LouisC
Getting Wild

so I wired the fuse block and sent a + and - wire back to the harness in the battery area where I had cut those 12v connections to power the fuse block. I took out the pull switch for the lights and replaced with an LED rocker switch powered by a positive from the fuse block and the 2 wires from the pull switch and a - from the fuse block. Added an additional LED center mount headlight with its own rocker LED switch powered from the fuse block single + wire from headlight and the negative from the fuse block. Next was the USB connections powered from the fuse block + and -. Next I wired a relay for back-up LED lights off the 48v reverse buzzer. Left that alone for now and wanting to close the instrument panel, I decided to install the ultimate Light Kit Upgrade on to find out the wire colors don't match (see another post). put the #3 & #4 batteries back in and tried the wiring I had worked on. Well after noticing the Tow switch was on (I put it in Run) and I finally got to see what I did. The lights were on - head lights were on all the time...the new center light worked perfectly off the switch. The USB was back lit and I sure it would be OK ---- So I can't figure out why the headlights are on all the time only off when I turned off the ignition switch. The Reverse buzzer no longer works. so I shut everything off for about 2 minutes... came back tried it again and NOTHING was working....I am SO FRUSTRATED.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Ugh! If nothing is working I would suspect something overheated and/or blew a fuse. You also could have lost the ground so double check your connections.

Not sure why the headlights are staying on as obviously the circuit is not being broke by the rocker switch as it should be so see if you transposed one of the wires that power the switch (backlight with the light circuit itself (?)) Something should be apparent in that area I would think.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:32 AM   #7
LouisC
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Ugh! If nothing is working I would suspect something overheated and/or blew a fuse. You also could have lost the ground so double check your connections.

Not sure why the headlights are staying on as obviously the circuit is not being broke by the rocker switch as it should be so see if you transposed one of the wires that power the switch (backlight with the light circuit itself (?)) Something should be apparent in that area I would think.
I checked all the fuses in the fuse block all were OK. The reducer yellow 48v to Key switch was disconnected as well as the (wire from the battery level meter) right now there are 3 wires connected to one male spade connector on the ignition switch - bad set-up - don't know what to use to get all these wires to stay connected - I've tried a double spade female connector but the wires came loose again - and what if I have to hook up something else to this side of the ignition switch - a real cluster f*^$
Old 04-23-2018, 05:25 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Unless the wires are pulled too tight (no slack) they should not pull back off. You may need to pinch the female spade a little tighter so when you press it on it is extremely hard to remove. Another idea would be a multi-point crimp connection if they are all common.

And if you have too many switched connections, you could also install a 48v relay down stream and let the key switch activate it and then the relay close in the remaining components. Since I am not looking at what you are, these are just suggestions I can think of from past experiences. Others may have more ideas....
Old 04-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is very difficult to fault-find a multi-point circuit from a distance, you really need to be on the spot to be able to trace wires etc. This is especially true when the system involves third-party wiring and not connections from a standard wiring diagram.

If you are not close to someone like David at Revolution Golf Cars then I suggest that you get it to an auto electrician (it's a 12V system that you are concerned with). He'll see what was being run from the original two wires and then check your wiring to make sure it is doing what you want.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
LouisC
Getting Wild

It is complicated... All I know is I have 3 different wires that have to be connected to the ignition switch so that when the switch is "on" these wires are activated. One of the issues I'm having is my connections are not holding very well and to solve this issue I will purchase a new (better) crimper. The other issue (the 3 different wires) I resolved this way... I bought a 6 terminal fuse block- ran a wire from the ignition to the main of the block - ran the three wires with spade connectors to the side of the block - put in (3) 20 amp fuses and Voila everything was working perfectly. 1EF25_AS01.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car