lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #21
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: OBC Battery Light

not for the PowerDrive
Harlow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here You go:

You can unplug both wires from the relay coil and do a "diode" test between the two wires to check the diode.

If the diode is shorted, the relay will not be able to activate and the OBC will get damaged if it cannot respond quick enough to prevent the current flow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17930_Charger.jpg (142.3 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #23
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, this is helpful. What I thought were just jumpers, actually are not. Makes sense now.
It's getting colder outside,, so Ill thaw out and check out that diode.
Many thanks, it's starting to look like a new OBD or throw some money at it and do away with the OBD and the two chargers
Old 04-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #24
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio, if the OBD cannot be resurrected, I guess I am looking at only two options. Buy another OBD, in which prices are ranging from $250 to $350, or jumpering it out and buy a new charger, $250,
I am leaning more toward jumpering it out because of what the OBD does is more for a golf course needs than mine.
So, at this point I guess I need some suggestions for a charger?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #25
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you are referencing your OBC (On Board Computer), then you would get more benefit by upgrading to a smart charger and just bypassing the OBC altogether.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #26
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, at this point, I am using a jumpered PowerDrive charger, which I have to babysit. What I need to know is which charger should I get? I am afraid I might forget to go and unplug the PowerDrive and these are new batteries. What gets me is this OBD will work sometimes but I'm getting tired of dealing with it ( no ground to the PowerDrive relay)
Old 04-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #27
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

This is the best charger on the market. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...rger-13-18-amp
You can buy other chargers for a little less, but it will be more what you want in regards to bang for your buck.

And OBC's will fail in stages most times. They will drive you crazy looking for a gremlin.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #28
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

True, and thanks for your help. I will keep you posted on how it goes!

By chasing this fault I did notice one of the #4 gauge leads to my motor was getting flaky, so there is that little bit of preventive maintenance!

Also noted that my cart's main grounding point is a terminal strip which is in addition to the OBD ground wire from the receptacle.
This main ground terminal strip, was going to #6 battery ground and not the controller B- post.
Which, the OBD wasn't seeing these grounds.
Will change that Monday!!!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #29
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Curiosity has gotten the best of me, so I went back outside and I found by doing continuity checks, that i can connect the grey wire on the receptacle side, to battery #6 ground and the relay will come on and the charger - Will - start!
For all the good this does, right? The OBD is still not providing a ground,
According to all the trouble shooting hints, I have been jumpering the black #22 wire on the receptacle side. Turns out if I take the yellow fuse apart and jumper the grey wire on the receptacle side, the relay will kick on and the charger runs.
So, it's back to using the jumpered charger #2, till the new one comes in.
Thanks alot for the hand holding and I'm sure I'll need it again when something else stumps me in the future
Old 04-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #30
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Lester Summit Series II Battery Charger!!
It arrived today.
I tore into it about 2 hours ago and I have removed the OBD & associated wiring.
(Blacy, Grey and Red wires, from the OEM charge receptacle)
I then installed a new #4 ground strap from the #6 battery's ground to the B- terminal on my controller.
Tomorrow, I'll remove the excess wiring from the controller/OBD plug & jumper the white and blue wires & then plug it back onto the controller.

Some say I need to use the old fuse plug from the OBDsetup & install it in between the blue & white wire connections on the PowerDrive Regen2?
Also, I found mention that I am suppose to run the Yellow wire that is connected to the passenger side solenoid's small post, directly to Controller B- or pack negative.?

Tags
charging issues
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car