lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2001 EZGO Gas-Engine Runs/Won't Go in Gear

Don’t remember what year they changed but there is a neutral lock out as part of the shifting mechanism. If it uses 1 cable it is on the back of the shifter assembly by your leg. If 2 cables it is on the front of the transaxle. Both work the same. Short lever about an inch long with a 90 degree point on the end. If it is in normal operation mode it should be sitting in a little hole on the shifter plate. If it is locked out and the shifter wont move it will just be swinging free. Check that. Here is a picture that might help https://goo.gl/images/1spri3
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
OGREJAY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm having kinda the same issue. Mine engages in reverse but does not move forward. the neutral lock can be spun by hand and if I pull up on the bracket with a pair of channel locks it will engage in forward. I was looking at it with a flashlight so I don't have a real clear view. Is there a way to tighten all that up or is it a replace only item? Also mine is located on the diff not the body
OGREJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Sometimes I have found the nut loose that holds the shifter on to the spindle in the axle. Might just be that simple lol
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #14
OGREJAY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That could easily be my problem. I just had the motor out and did a complete rebuild on it so maybe something came loose or I forgot to tighten something up.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OG, the lockout assembly is very similar on the transaxle side. If you pull the little lever out and spin it there is a dimple it drops in to lock the pin out of the way and let it shift.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
OGREJAY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Kgsc. I'm heading up to the river lot after work to check it out in the daylight. I'm thinking it hasn't been right for a couple days. My wife just told me it started acting up Friday when going from reverse to forward every once and a while it would grind a little before it dropped into gear.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #17
MJMSxr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Wait. So it won’t start? Or won’t shift?
The F/R switch seems to be operating properly, the cables are moving the mechanism behind motor/in front of rear end and still won't go into F or R.
MJMSxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #18
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMSxr View Post
The F/R switch seems to be operating properly, the cables are moving the mechanism behind motor/in front of rear end and still won't go into F or R.
Check to make sure the brake drums/hubs are not spinning on the axle splines. get someone to sit on the cart and run the engine while holding down the brake pedal. then look at the large nut in the middle of each rear wheel. if one is spinning you need a new brake drum / hub for that side. If this is your problem, when you tighten up the nut on rebuild, you need around 90 - 130 ft lb of torque, do the nut up till the split pin hole lines up with a slot in the nut. Do NOT undo the nut to make it line up, just keep going tighter till you can get the pin in.

If all is good here and the selector is shifting ok, then you may have a broken axle or the transaxle is shot and needs a rebuild.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #19
MJMSxr
Not Yet Wild

I have a .mov file that shows what is going on. Can I upload it or will somebody PM me with a cell phone I can text it to?

Last edited by MJMSxr; 05-23-2018 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: being more specific
MJMSxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #20
OGREJAY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Kgsc that's what my problem was. I must've bumped it putting the motor back in and from bouncing around the camp ground locked it in neutral. Everything works as it should again.

Tags
rear differential, solenoid, transmission, won't drive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO