lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
zwily
Not Yet Wild

Default Identifying mystery port in used 2008 Club Car

I just bought a 2008 Club Car (VIN PH08...), and have a few questions...

It has been modified with a lift kit and stuff, and there is no pedal-up braking. I'd like to re-enable that, and from my reading it looks like you should be able to attach the right programmer to a port under the key, and set some parameters.

However, there is no such port - I popped the dash off, and found nothing where the port hole is, but there's a disconnected 9-port connector hanging out in there. (I'm too new to post links, but add an h to this and paste in your url bar to see: ttp://cl.ly/0j0P3g2h0e0e/IMG_1205.jpg)

Look familiar to anyone?

thanks!
zwily is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Identifying mystery port in used 2008 Club Car

That looks to be where you would plug in your turn signal arm.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
zwily
Not Yet Wild

Well, I just got a peak in the back, and it looks like the controller has been replaced with an Alltrax DCX300 IQ: (h)ttps://cl.ly/1I0I0h1r060s. I suspect this is good news for me?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwily View Post
Well, I just got a peak in the back, and it looks like the controller has been replaced with an Alltrax DCX300 IQ: (h)ttps://cl.ly/1I0I0h1r060s. I suspect this is good news for me?
That is a good controller. It has now been replaced with the XCT line, but still good none the less.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bad news for Regenerative brake (pedal up brake) since the DCX does not support it or the use of a speed sensor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
zwily
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Bad news for Regenerative brake (pedal up brake) since the DCX does not support it or the use of a speed sensor.
Ahh, that's too bad... Does the XCT?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, it does an excellent job with Regen and You can setup 3 different driving modes and switch between them on the fly.

You also just need a regular USB cable instead of a DB-9 old style serial interface to program and the software to program is free.

I have the XCT 500amp with some custom setup for Regen brake that works really well for my driving needs.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you remove the black circular plug on the front of the DCX you'll find the db9 programming plug.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
zwily
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Yes, it does an excellent job with Regen and You can setup 3 different driving modes and switch between them on the fly.

You also just need a regular USB cable instead of a DB-9 old style serial interface to program and the software to program is free.

I have the XCT 500amp with some custom setup for Regen brake that works really well for my driving needs.
Sergio - according to this thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post682864, if you enable plug braking and set brake throttle, you get "throttle off" braking. To my cart novice brain it sounds like that means you don't get the speed-aware braking of normal pedal up braking, but we would get some regen braking when letting off the throttle, which would be better than nothing.

Does that sound right?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The DCX controller definitely cannot do any speed aware modulation of the motor since it has no speed sensor feedback.

The terminology "plug brake" usually refers to how You change directions in a fork lift without stopping, normally that would cause the motor to lock very quickly due to a build up of magnetic force caused by the motor armature current flowing in reverse as the motor is turned into a generator.

If the Controller can do "plug brake", it modulates the intensity of that brake force until the motor turns in the other direction.

I know the DCX does "Dynamic brake" when the key is ON and the pedal is UP, not quite the same as "roll away brake" since it does not know when the motor is turning so the field current is always being wasted until you turn the key OFF.

Maybe some of the folks that have or had a DCX can comment on how effective that dynamic brake is when the cart is moving and you lift your foot OFF the accelerator.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car