lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 AM   #71
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 05 CC Precedent 14 cell Leaf Lithium conversion.

Glad the windshield did not fold in on the high speed passes....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #72
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I'm beginning to like the wooden seat!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #73
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's kinda starting to get a bit of a rat rod cart look going... Hmmm.... Nope, there's no way my wife is going to be cruising around the golf course sitting on a 2 x 6... maybe a 2 x 10....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #74
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
maybe a 2 x 10....
.....Don't go there......

Old proverb states that "woman who gain weight as they grow older, live much longer than men who point out that woman gain weight as they grow older."
Old 01-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #75
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess I had better wrap this one up since I am starting my second pack today. I finished installing the pack, monitor in the dash (Dremel with a cutoff wheel cuts it like butter) and have been tinkering with the programming on the controller and the options for the personality switch.

Since I am running the BMS "HV relay and LV relay" circuits in series I am going to go back and remove the separate charger disconnect relay and its wiring. Then I will wire the charger through the Gigavac. That way the battery pack is completely disconnected by the Gigavac in either a HV or LV situation. - Thanks to Sergio for pointing it out. I wasn't seeing the simple solution. K.I.S.S. Lol

A few take aways.

Luckily I ordered supplies for 2 packs. One of my Zeva BMS' is not working correctly and will not close the HV relay even though there are no errors. After making sure that there were no other contributing factors I confirmed that the BMS is faulty by swapping with my other BMS that was still wrapped up. I emailed Ian at Zeva last night and am awaiting a response.

For those looking to save a few bucks, I installed a $90, 58.4v, 10 amp charger from Amazon as a temporary charger to get started. I am pretty sure that this is the same charger Nick at EV used to sell with his DIY kits. It is wired with an HV disconnect relay for over voltage protection from the BMS. Now that its in it is working great and it seems the only real advantage of going with the TC at this point is faster charging time. I am thinking that with a 120 ah pack I may only be charging once, maybe twice week and as long as I can get a complete charge in less than 10-12 hours and get somewhere around 40 mile range I should be good... Once I run it down the first time and see how long it actually takes to get a complete charge will be the determining factor if I need to upgrade to the TC Charger.

I did spend some time looking into Delta-q and some other charger options for something that puts out more than 800 watts on 110v (American and Canadian made) but all seemed to be starting at more than $500 and didn't produce significant gains for the $$$. So if using a Zeva and want a CAN bus controlled charger you're limited to the Elcon TC at around I'm told $370 shipped. Or you can go with something like I did with this pack and get the charger that's set to 58.4v and let the BMS open a charger disconnect relay (vice turning off the charger via CAN bus with the TC charger) if any individual reaches the high voltage threshold you set.

58.4V 10A Charger 58.4V LiFePO4 Battery Smart Charger Used for 16S 48V LiFePO4 Battery High Power https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXQBQ8D..._4EYsCbT4V952H

Don't keep working after your wife goes to bed... you are probably to tired to be wiring s*#t that you have never done before...

I don't recommend testing this but if you miss wire the F1, F2 and A1 output cables of the Alltrax 48500 you will not damage the controller... but you will get a "Short circuit/output fault" code.
I'll just leave that there...

After lighting off the controller I did need to swap the F1 and F2 leads as the motor did run backwards.

With the out of the box tune on the Alltrax 48500, 6,000 rpm limit set for the stock motor, with 2ga cables, stock turf tires on 10" rims, 58v, 14 cell Nissan Leaf conversion I am seeing 25 mph on both flat and hilly terrain with no slowing. The steepest hill around is a golf cart overpass for the highway that used to slow the cart down to less than 5 mph with a run at it. I can now stop half way up and take off and continue to accelerate all the way up and over... Wahoo!

For anyone with the CC 4-12v battery setup I would strongly recommend doing this conversion with the single 14 cell pack and remove the center plate. It looks intimidating but reality is that there are actually only 3 wires that run completely through the center from front the tub across the center plate and out the back. I cut and later spliced the 3 wires during my rip out but in hindsight I should have simply unplugged it from the motor, pulled it back into the tub and rerouted it with the main harness to the passenger side and back out to the motor with the A1/A2 and F1/F2 cables as it was the right length to start with.

If you don't have over 90 miles of cart paths like we do around here or plan to offroad a lot, I would probably recommend a 7 cell/60 ah system vice the 14 cell/120 ah.

Hands down the single most important take away from this project is that you should start by messaging my new friend Gary, Pingeye3. He's the single best resource I have found during this project (and BGW!) and your a fool if you don't reach out to him! I checked and he's ok if I post this. ;)

Old 01-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #76
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Nice work!! I can't possibly keep my cart that clean with the amount of dirt\mud I go thru!!

There is some envy in you guys that can just drive the streets!!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #77
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The Charger I got from EV is a 17 amp and it had a voltage / current display on the end. It looks similar to the one you got other than that. It has been working fine for me. I think a 10 amp charger would be fine if you have 12 hours to spend charging.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #78
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Complete with a personalized decal even!

Nice work!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #79
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Complete with a personalized decal even!

Nice work!
Thanks, it wouldn't be "complete" without it.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #80
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Nice work!! I can't possibly keep my cart that clean with the amount of dirt\mud I go thru!!

There is some envy in you guys that can just drive the streets!!
And there's some envy in you guys that get out in the dirt and mud... Imagine if I rolled off of the golf course covered in dripping mud...

Well actually there was this one time back when I was in the Navy on liberty in Australia... lets just say that I found out that the roll cages on these things are worthless!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car