lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
MWC "married w/ children"
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Batteries Question.

Ok, Im at work now so I really can't read ALL the stickys for the correct way to charge my batteries. I just got this cart 4 weeks ago. Club Car DS 36V 1990. Was told "new batteries" and it does look that way, deffinetly all new cables. I placed a Voltage meter in dash. The very first time I charged it when I received it, the charger stayed on for 5 hours and charged batteries to 46. something. I added distilled water in a couple of cells. The cart has been sitting in garage while I'm doing upgrades and painting body. Last night it was reading 37.4. I placed charger on it. Had to unplug charger when I went to sleep. Don't like to leave it on when going to bed. It had 4 hours of charging, and immediately after disconnect showed 45.4. This morning before I left for work I checked it again and it reads 37.5. On the way to work I picked up a battery hydrometer and will check each individual cell. I also noticed that the lights, back up noise maker, and original bar meter are all connected to battery terminals first then topped with battery cable. Not sure if this plays a roll in anything. But figured battery terminal wires should be first with anything else sitting on top of them. Is there anything also I should look for tonight when I get home? Nothing is on drawing on them. Re did the wiring for the original bar meter so it is only on with key on. Thanks in advance. In the end it is possible I will need batteries and have been lied too. That's the world we live in today.! LOL
MWC "married w/ children" is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries Question.

You have the cables set correctly. See attached for charge %.

A 36v pack should have a 38.20 pack voltage at 100% SOC. This is read 12 hours after a full charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Percentages.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What brand of batteries are they?
Look for date codes on the batteries or a small round sticker with a Letter and Number like D9 or something like that.

During charging a typical 36v pack should reach about 47-48v as that’s part of the process to ensure they receive a full charge. If that is a new pack, it will take several charge cycles before they reach their full potential, but it’s very important to make sure they do get a full charge.

The largest cables should go on the battery first. Smaller cables go on after that.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You need to let your charger run until it shuts off, as long as the charger is working properly there is no reason not to leave it plugged in unless you are using the cart. It could take as long as 16 hours to fully charge.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you all gentlemen and or ladies.
1st- I checked my cables that was the very first thing I did last night when I got home. All is correct and NEW.
2nd- I made sure all connections were tight. and they are already clean.
3rd- I checked each and every cell with the Hydrometer. EVERY cell reads ABOVE good!
4th- Turned key on to read volts, it was showing 37.0
5th- Placed charger on and meter showed 46.3 while charging.
6th- Charger turned off by itself after a couple hours, reading was 41.2
7th- This morning before leaving for work checked meter, it was reading 37.0 steady.

Tonight when I get home I will recheck all cells again. I was under the assumption that the meter under full charge should read 41to 46% and when it ran down to 36.3 That's when its should be run the lowest.

The batteris are BRUTE FORCE 6V-2000 no stickers or codes anywhere and nothing under the NEG. post. I wish I could post pics. ALL my pics of the cart and refurbishing it are on my email account. I need to transfer them to comp. then I can down load them here for you to see.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:10 AM   #6
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good Info.
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Unless there is an unforeseen issue with your charger, it sounds like there maybe a weak pack. 37v is only 68% charged and that is not representative of a new pack.

When you get home, check the voltage of each individual battery and see if they are all low or just one.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Do You have a Voltmeter on the dash that you’re using for these readings?
It would be better if you connect a handheld meter directly to the pack to verify. Also check each individual battery to make sure they are all matched. If one battery is lower than the rest that can be a problem.
Those little dash gauges can be off by a few volts occcasionally. Either due to inconsistent manufacturing or because of voltage loss in the wiring of the cart.

Date code stickers are not always on top of the battery. Many will have it somewhere on the side of the case. In lieu of that, Most batteries have a manufacturing code stamped in the side edge of the upper cover somewhere. If there are no other obvious date code stamps, that can help narrow down the age of the batteries if they have it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you, will do now. Yes I am using the gauge I installed. I did the hydrometer so I assumed all cells are fine. I will check each battery now with my volt meter. I finally finished refurbishing the cart today!! Looks awesome and brand new. I took it out for a spin, and felt bumpity bump bump.! I know it aint the street cause its a brand new development and our road was just paved last week with the final top coat. I brought it home thinking it could be a flat spot in a tire. Don't know how long it sat before me. I jacked the rear end up, turned key on and hit the accelerator. The drivers side rear wheel is bent! It wobbles. So I just ordered two 20x10x8 wheels for the rear. $118 shipped to my door Thursday. I figured the tire size may help in speed, and compensate for the rear seat I will be installing when it comes, so the cart will sit level.

OK just checked my batteries:
Battery 1 -reads 6.21
Battery 2 -reads 6.20
Battery 3 -reads 6.21
Battery 4 -reads 6.21
Battery 5 -reads 6.18
Battery 6 -reads 6.21

Volt meter on dash reads 37.9

Has not been charged in the last 24 hours, and did use it briefly to test drive after i finished it today. Battery 5 is the lowest at 6.18 and battery 2 comes in at 6.20 every other is 6.21. Could this cause a problem????
Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Each battery should be at least 6.37v to be 100% SOC.

Take yous DVM and check the voltage you get as compared to the reading on your dash meter.

And no, all your batteries are close to each other. There appears to be no single issue with a battery.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car