lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
blounsbury
Not Yet Wild

Default Key switched connection point

Hey folks,

I’ve got a 99 club car ds series. I’m looking to add a key switched 48V to 12V voltage reducer to my cart for a car stereo. My plan is to use a relay for this purpose. Where is the best spot to attach the positive trigger line for the relay. I’d prefer to not have to splice any wires, so if there is a spot on the solenoid or controller where I can add another ring terminal that would definitely be preferable. Here’s a diagram from another post of what I’m trying to accomplish. The KSI line is what I’m trying to connect.

blounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Key switched connection point

If you are referring to the activation trigger, it comes of the cold side of your key switch so when you turn it on, the relay powers up and closes in the converter.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

I did the same thing. I wired the remote line of my DC to DC converter, and my digital volt meter to the cold side of the key switch.

1. Disconnect both the positive and the negative battery terminals from the pack
2. Put cart in reverse and hold for 30 seconds to discharge the controller.
3. Remove the 2 screws on either side of the dash
4. Pry off the black cover of your key mechanism
5. Remove the nut from the key mechanism
6. Slide out the dash cover
7. Crimp a ring lug onto the wire and put it on the cold side of the key (right side)

:)
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
blounsbury
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
If you are referring to the activation trigger, it comes of the cold side of your key switch so when you turn it on, the relay powers up and closes in the converter.
I am referring to the activation trigger. I was hoping to find a more convenient connection point than directly on the key switch itself.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I believe on the series carts the key switch power goes through the throttle switch and the FNR micro switch before going to the solenoid. The closest you can get for switched power from the key without going all the way to the dash is at the micro-switch for the throttle.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I believe on the series carts the key switch power goes through the throttle switch and the FNR micro switch before going to the solenoid. The closest you can get for switched power from the key without going all the way to the dash is at the micro-switch for the throttle.
I think this is right also. If more than one m.s. use the feed for the one closest to the front of the cart. Just check it with a meter to see if it turns on/off with the key.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfortunately that will not work, the key switch on the Series cart only feeds the pedal micro-switch, the FNR switch comes after the pedal.

The best place is direct on the back of the key switch (blue wire), You can even use a Scotchlok T-tap since a convert trigger wire or the relay shown need very little current.

That was an old drawing I did for someone that needed to have both constant and switched power for a Radio but was using a standard single output converter.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know you're trying to avoid a splice in the middle of a wire run, but that blue wire off the ignition switch is the same small blue wire that goes into the micro switch in the V-glide. Inside the V-glide isn't a very convenient spot to hook up, so Sergio's suggestion (scotch-lok)is about the only choice if you want to stay "under the seat".
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

This would also work.

https://www.amazon.com/T-Tap-Electri...23317726&psc=1
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
blounsbury
Not Yet Wild

I decided to just use a t-tap to attach. Easy/simple. Thanks all!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car