lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
JPGolfFL
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries for Precedent 48v

Finally got the cart running right with a new controller and I believe it’s time for new batteries. I need 4 12v. Is there anything specific I need to look for in a battery? I’ll get them locally from a battery source or similar shop. Should I go for a certain brand or are they all fine? I don’t care about having anything special just want decent run time and battery life.
JPGolfFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries for Precedent 48v

You've opened up a can of worms with this question.

For flooded lead acid batteries (FLA), Trojan, Crown and US Battery are the top favorites. I like Crown based on my performance with them. Trojan might be the best FLA offering available which is the general consensus here.

I would go with whatever is readily available in your area. Don't purchase from a far away dealer to save a few bucks.

Then there is lithium.....and I'm sure you will hear A WHOLE LOT about going that way. And it would be the best choice if money saving is not the driving factor.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
You've opened up a can of worms with this question.

Then there is lithium.....and I'm sure you will hear A WHOLE LOT about going that way. And it would be the best choice if money saving is not the driving factor.
Hear Hear...
If you have the budget to spend a little bit more, you will not be disappointed!
I just switched and it is like a whole different cart.. Takes a bit of homework to figure out Amp Hour needs but well worth it.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

How far do you want to go? is probably the big question...

Is the cart stock, or does it have a higher output motor/controller? Bigger tires/wheels?
Lift kit? Will this cart be mostly for golf use on a course, or will it be more for street driving/campground use?
Do you run flat land or are you in the hills?

All factors that can make a difference in which batteries to get, and why.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Interested in this conversation as well. I will need batteries soon and am leaning heavily towards Allied drop ins vs. FLA. I have done some research, but am only more confused about what amp-hours mean and how much I need. Is there a rule of thumb for each value? I mostly play golf, cart is stock (for now), I am on 20" tires, and the course is fairly hilly in spots. I'd estimate that some days when I play I might do 5-7 miles total.

I'm thinking I can get away with 60ah, but I am not real interested in cutting it close.

Also curious how a future with an Alltrax would play into it.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Amp Hours = Run Time
The more AH the longer you can run between charges or before depleting the pack.
There are so many variables in what run time you will get.
Upgrades and terrain are the biggest of those variables.
Hills and Distance = More AH
Hauling weight = More AH
Upgraded Motor & Controller Larger Tires = More AH

If the cart is bone stock and you drive mostly street to and from a somewhat flat course then the 60 AH will most likely be more than you need.
If you are running a bit of a hot rod around a hilly course for 36 holes then you want to go upwards of 100, 150, or even 200 AH

That is the basics to Amp Hours
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #7
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

@Briboy - thanks, that is what I thought - it also gets unbearably hot here in the summer, peak playing season, so I might go 90 for safety.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Ryan View Post
Interested in this conversation as well. I will need batteries soon and am leaning heavily towards Allied drop ins vs. FLA. I have done some research, but am only more confused about what amp-hours mean and how much I need. Is there a rule of thumb for each value? I mostly play golf, cart is stock (for now), I am on 20" tires, and the course is fairly hilly in spots. I'd estimate that some days when I play I might do 5-7 miles total.

I'm thinking I can get away with 60ah, but I am not real interested in cutting it close.

Also curious how a future with an Alltrax would play into it.
For what it’s worth, I can’t answer how it will do with an alltrax because I don’t have one. My DS is basically stock with a back seat , 10” wheels, and a speed magnet. Stock controller, motor, everything else. It runs 23-25mph on flat pavement and does just fine on hills. I get 20-30 miles on a charge with 2 of the 48v 30aH allied batteries (60aH total). With the performance I’ve got out of the cart now, I really don’t think I need anything more than what I’ve got. It’s pretty much the perfect setup for my needs.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car