lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #1
Cws
Not Yet Wild

Default Eco Battery died with 56% remaining power

I installed an Eco 105AH battery in my 2016 Precedent about three months ago. I keep the meter on power remaining. Previously driving on streets, I use 10% of the power when driving 5 miles. Since I am on flat ground, and not starting and stopping a lot, I had confidence in the meter. Today, a mile for the house, I had 56.xx power remaining, and the cart died. Pushed it home and plugged in the charger. It was still reading 56.xx% remaining while charging and was reading 45.57V. After several hours it was reading 100% and 54.x Volts.

Not sure what the issue is, but if the gauge is not working properly, I am getting about 20 miles per charge when not pushing the battery very hard, that would be disappointing. I learned from pushing the cart about a mile, there really isn’t much rolling resistance.
Cws is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2022, 10:03 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Eco Battery died with 56% remaining power

Which meter are you using? A meter that simply measures voltage won't work accurately for lithium. Any percentages that they give are not reliable. You need one that measures current as well. I really like my Renogy battery monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-500A-B...98&sr=8-5&th=1
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:05 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That’s pretty low voltage. Are you sure it was 100% charged before?

What kind of drive setup do you have and what kind of current consumption do you see while driving? What kind of temps?

I suspect either it wasn’t really 100% charged before, or possibly you’ve got a high amperage controller and high hp motor that consumes the current faster than say, a stock cart would. I’d expect around 50 miles on a stock cart with that setup
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:34 PM   #4
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cws View Post
I installed an Eco 105AH battery in my 2016 Precedent about three months ago. I keep the meter on power remaining. Previously driving on streets, I use 10% of the power when driving 5 miles. Since I am on flat ground, and not starting and stopping a lot, I had confidence in the meter. Today, a mile for the house, I had 56.xx power remaining, and the cart died. Pushed it home and plugged in the charger. It was still reading 56.xx% remaining while charging and was reading 45.57V. After several hours it was reading 100% and 54.x Volts.

Not sure what the issue is, but if the gauge is not working properly, I am getting about 20 miles per charge when not pushing the battery very hard, that would be disappointing. I learned from pushing the cart about a mile, there really isn’t much rolling resistance.
What was the temperature when this happened and while it was parked prior to use?

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:31 PM   #5
Cws
Not Yet Wild

I can answer a few questions, will have to get current data tomorrow.

Temperature was 82 degrees

Motor and controller are stock from the factory. Only thing not OEM on the cart is the Eco battery

I am using the meter that came with the Eco battery kit.

Cart never sits more than a day or two unused.

Battery meter was reading 56 or 57 percent when I took the cart out.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cws View Post
Temperature was 82 degrees.......I am using the meter that came with the Eco battery kit.
Sounds like low temperature can be ruled out.

From your original post it sounds like you have the older style Eco Battery gauge with the 3 buttons and the shunt.

This gauge may not detect small currents drawn from the battery when parked. Voltage reducers and controllers can pull current even with key switch off. So the longer you go between charges the more inaccurate the gauge can become (i.e.: reading higher than actual). Once fully charged accuracy is restored.

EcoBattery has updated their charging recommendations, I believe they may have done this to address this issue. From the latest Quick Start Guide: "Note - It is recommended that your battery be charged daily to ensure a full charge at the beginning of each use. The battery may be left connected to the charger for up to ten days. For long-term storage exceeding ten days, turn the battery on/off switch to the off position and disconnect the charger."
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

45v is harmfully low > I put a voltage alarm on my wifes cart. She ignores the DVM in the dash.
It beeps when the battery drops to 48v reminding her to plug it in.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #8
Cws
Not Yet Wild

Did a quick test today, when I am running the cart at 14-15 MPH where I normally run it the cart (top speed is 19 or 20 MPH) it draws 25 Amps, +/-4 Amps.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:25 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That current draw sounds very low for running that that speed. I would have expected more like 40-50 amps.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:39 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
That current draw sounds very low for running that that speed. I would have expected more like 40-50 amps.
Seems pretty consistent with what my cart draws.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...=187544&page=2
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car