lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
smcbmw
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 stroke rebuild. Exhaust leak

I just had my 1989 marathon top end rebuilt. The motor is running fine and seems to be operating great. I have been running a rich oil mixture to help break the motor in for the first tank of gas...

My question is this????

There seems to me some oil coming from the exhaust and exhaust pipe. Is this normal since I am running the rich oil mixture??/

If not, what could be causing it???

Thanks....
smcbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 stroke rebuild. Exhaust leak

Congratulations on realising that you need to be running rich after the rebuild. The manual recommends 40:1 for the first tank and then 128:1 thereafter. For your convenience 128:1 is 1 ounce oil to 1 gallon fuel. Whilst on the subject it is not acceptable to toss the oil into the fuel tank as it will tend to sink to the bottom and not mix. You should add the oil to your gas container and shake it vigorously. Sorry if you already knew this but the view is great up here on my soapbox.

With this rich mixture you probably will see some unburnt oil weeping from your tailpipe, this is normal for now but not when you are running a correct mixture. If you are seeing oil weep from the exhaust pipe / cylinder junction then either you have a loose connection or a damaged exhaust gasket. In either case you will need to address this as the back pressure on the exhaust system is an essential element of your engines performance.

Does this answer your question?
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
smcbmw
Not Yet Wild

Very much so..... Thanks for the help
Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
smcbmw
Not Yet Wild

Should there never be oil leaking from the exhaust/head or should this subside also when the mixture is correct.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbmw View Post
Should there never be oil leaking from the exhaust/head or should this subside also when the mixture is correct.
There should never be oil leaking from the exhaust / cylinder union.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
smcbmw
Not Yet Wild

thanks..... Took off the exhaust, cleaned both sides, replaced with new seal and everything seems to be doing good.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO