lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default All-Sports Rear Lift Kit Install "My Way"

This may be a potential sticky.

Lots of people have been asking me what to do with the brake cables of a Precedent vehicle with a 6" lift. There is an issue due to brake cable length of these vehicles. This is my solution...

I'm going to post 10 photographs. Afterwards, I'll describe them. Please ask if there are any questions.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default re: All-Sports Rear Lift Kit Install "My Way"

The first picture is of the square U-bolt plate that is to be installed underneath the axle. I install a bolt in the center of this piece to keep the plate seated firmly in the spring saddle. I use a 5/16" x 1" bolt. The head of this bolt will sit in the saddle.

The second picture is a photograph of the factory brake cable bracket/spring retaining plate. You'll need to cut off the shock tab on both of these plates (Driver and Passenger) as shown.

The third picture shows the brake cable bracket/spring retaining plate after cutting.

The fourth and fifth pictures show the center hole of this same plate. It must be enlarged to 1/2" to allow for the nut on the leaf spring center pin to sit inside it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3104.jpg (58.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3097.jpg (82.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3098.jpg (83.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3099.jpg (63.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3100.jpg (68.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

In order to gain the clearance that I want and to releive the slack of the brake cables I've determined that the best method is to flip the entire brake mounting plates upside down and swap them to the other side of the vehicle. This will allow for the brake "Slide" mechanism to be located towards the top of the backing plate, rather than the bottom. This keeps the brake cables stuffed up high and will keep them from hanging down so low.

The first and second pictures here show the brake assembly. These pictures are taken of a vehicle that has already had the brakes "flipped" If you'll notice, the brake adjuster is at the top of the cluster instead of the bottom. The access hole in the first picture reveals the C-Clip that must be released in order to remove the axle shaft. You'll need a pair of 90 degree C-Clip pliers to complete this task. Once it's released, slide the axle out and un-bolt the brake plates. Swap the driver and passenger brake plates and flip them upside down. Re-install axles.

The third picture shows the lift kit install finished on the passenger side of the vehicle. Notice the bottom square plate as shown in the previous post. The bolt in the center of this plate is firmly seated in the original spring saddle and can not roll out of it. This lift kit does not "Require" this bolt, but I think it's extra security so I highly recommend it.

The fourth picture is another angle of the same thing. Notice the factory spring retainer plate is not mounted underneath the leaf spring. (We used a factory spring therefore the enlarging of the center hole was unnecessary because the center pin is longer, but with many aftermarket springs you'll need to do it). Another common way of tackling this task is to install a grade 8 bolt with the head on top of the spring but with double nuts on the bottom. This will allow for the OEM spring plate and the lift block to fully seat. Make Extra SURE that the center pin is seated into BOTH the plate and the lift block, otherwise it may shift and fall apart. Take a look at the brake cable. It lines up perfectly to the slide mechanism. The All-Sports spring retaining plate is mounted above the leaf spring and the factory shock bolts right up to it.

The fifth picture shows the completed lift kit again but gives you a nice view of the brake cable sitting in it's "Factory" location, yet it's on a lifted car. It provides a much better brake feel than any other method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3102.jpg (57.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3101.jpg (83.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3096.jpg (55.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3095.jpg (82.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3103.jpg (62.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . nice write up and pics . . . thanks Tahoe . . I agree . . Sticky material . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
aviator160
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . nice write up and pics . . . thanks Tahoe . . I agree . . Sticky material . . .
Agrees great information and write up, helps my plan for when I do my lift.
aviator160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
kenacp
Getting Wild
Club Car

I guess this will work on a DS also?
kenacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenacp View Post
I guess this will work on a DS also?
Yep.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
kenacp
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the tip! That's a much cleaner look without the brake cables so low.
kenacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tahoedawg - is this the same on electric rear ends as well as gas? not sure which one you were working on in the pics.
NewtoBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoBuggies View Post
Tahoedawg - is this the same on electric rear ends as well as gas? not sure which one you were working on in the pics.
I do gas cars the same way except I "Tilt" the powertrain assembly back before I tighten the U-Bolts. This allows the rubber snubber to sit properly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car