lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: power wise charger blowing the 50 amp fuse

Make and model of charger please. This will expedite the process.
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
MaReed27
Not Yet Wild

When the charger is plugged into power and then plugged into the cart is when the fuse blows.
MaReed27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

The charger belongs to MaReed27. I think it's the same model as mine which is a power wise 28115 G01. We used the testing from the you tube video provided in a post on this forum. The diode check in the video only has us checking for a short between the heat sink and the diode. There is no short on either diode. Here is the link we used:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...r-stopped.html
jetfan1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

Oh. The fuse is inside the charger just as shown in the you tube video.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfan1950 View Post
Friends charger is sparking and blowing the fuse just as he plugs it into the cart (95 txt). My power wise charger works fine with his cart. We followed the you tube video to test and continuity of 3 cables is fine but we can't check the relay board(new style board) as the fuse will blow when we plug it in. The diode checks good (open to the chassis ground). This is a new diode. The original diode was bad...it appeared that both contacts were blown off the board. We have not been able to check the capacitor yet as the wires are rusted to the contacts. We have them soaking in liquid wrench. Any suggestions while we wait for another fuse to arrive?
The diode board is not chassis ground. It is insulated from the chassis. The test you made from diode to the plate it is mounted on is a good test. Something strange is going on. I looked at the video but can't figure out why the fuse blows and it didn't deal with that. If it isn't much trouble disconnect both diodes and plug in the AC and the cart and see what happens. Something is a dead short. Check the connector on the plug end that plugs into cart for intermittent short or reverse polarity wiring.

Also don't overlook that capacitor. Another good test would be to disconnect one leg of it and see what happens. An open capacitor will not cause fuse to blow but if it is shorted or breaking down it might cause an overvoltage situation and excess charging current that blows the fuse.

Last edited by radioman; 09-19-2014 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: capacitor note
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a schematic of a PW 28115 charger (manual is attached also).

The fuse is between the ammeter and the positive wire in the output cable, so I'm not entirely sure anything to the left of the fuse on the schematic will blow the fuse.

Since a different charger works with the cart, that leaves the output cable and output plug. Specifically, a short between the B+ and B- wires in the output cable or the B+ and B- radsoks in the plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW Charger Schematic.JPG (47.4 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If the charging cable and plug had a short it or a diode was shorted it would blow fuse without charger being plugged into AC wouldn't it? Info posted indicates the charger has to be plugged into AC for the 50A fuse to blow.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
If the charging cable and plug had a short it or a diode was shorted it would blow fuse without charger being plugged into AC wouldn't it? Info posted indicates the charger has to be plugged into AC for the 50A fuse to blow.
Yes it would very likely blow the fuse, but I didn't see where they ever tried just plugging charger into cart without plugging into AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaReed27 View Post
When the charger is plugged into power and then plugged into the cart is when the fuse blows.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #19
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Wouldn't a short in the charging cable and /or connector draw a large current from the cart batteries and smoke the battery cable inside the cart wiring rather than blow a fuse in the charger?
I asked the question in post #10 about the charger status when fuse blows. Indications were it had to be plugged into AC. (I am going to sit this one out). No more comments from me...

Last edited by radioman; 09-19-2014 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: added comment
Old 09-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #20
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

I don't think Mike ever tried just plugging the charger into the cart without it being plugged into AC. We tested all 3 cables for continuity but not for shorts. We will test that next.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO