lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
wolfman064
Not Yet Wild

Default Dash Radio Install - What Did You Do With The Remote Wire?

Morning everyone,

I will be installing a radio in the new VIP dash kit I just ordered. I've always just used a bluetooth speaker in the past, but I really like the look of this dash kit and decided to take the plunge. My question for anyone who has done something similar is what you have done with the blue remote wire? The radio I bought has a hard power off, so one option is to just wire it to 12V positive power, and take care to power the radio down each time we stop carting. My other options are to either wire it to a toggle switch, or replace the ignition switch to a three position switch. Messing with the key switch is my least preferred option. Just wondering if anyone has any other good ideas on this?

Thanks!
wolfman
wolfman064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Dash Radio Install - What Did You Do With The Remote Wire?

I am not sure if I understand the question, the head unit (radio) has a remote output wire, if you also have a separate amplifier, it has a remote input wire.

You simply wire the two blue wires together so that the Radio sends the remote turn ON signal to the amp when the Radio is ON.

Are You referring to something else?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
wolfman064
Not Yet Wild

Yes - head units have blue "remote" wires that are typically wired to an ignition switch, to tell the radio that the key is in and vehicle is turned on. It's meant to ensure the head unit doesn't stay on all the time. In my golf cart I don't currently have that option, so trying to figure out what to do to send 12V power to the head unit through this "remote" wire to tell the head unit to turn on. I'm leaning towards putting it on a toggle switch, but wondering if there are better ideas out there.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could You please tell us the model number for the head unit?

The wire that tells the head unit the ignition (accessory) is ON is typically the red wire and the yellow wire is the one that carries all of the power to the head unit.

I have only seen blue remote wires on a head unit being used to signal external amps, and sometimes power antennas, to turn ON.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

The blue remote wire sends a momentary signal to the amplifier to tell it to turn on, as mentioned above, the yellow & red wires are constant and switched power (respectively)for the head unit power and memory.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
wolfman064
Not Yet Wild

Understood - my wires are colored differently. My question is what to do with the switched power wire. I've decided to just toss it on a toggle switch. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Typically a reducer with switched and constant +12v output is used in case your radio requires constant power to preserve preset, etc.

If You are using an extra 12v battery or a always-on converter, you can install a $5 relay to turn the power OFF to your radio switched power.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car