lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

Default Aftermarket horn

Can I install aftermarket horn using factory wire harness. If I can can you please tell how to wire
Thanks
Ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Aftermarket horn

You'll have to tell us what cart you have (serial number will do) and whether it already has lights etc.

The easy answer is "yes" but if it doesn't have a light kit and/or a reducer then there are other things you need to be able to just add a horn.

If it doesn't have a reducer (to change the 48V to 12V) then you can either add a reducer for a 12V horn or just fit a 48V horn. Either way you will also need a momentary action switch for a horn button (which needs to be able to handle the same voltage as the horn).

Edit: I just saw your other post asking about lights. A light kit covers both lights and horn so you only need one post. I also notice from the other thread that the cart is a 2104 Precedent.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

2014 club car precedent with LED light kit I do not know if it has voltage reducer
Thanks
Old 08-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK, well it should have a reducer (because most/all light kits are meant for 12V).

It is easy to check, just measure the voltage across one of the lights. If it is 12V then you have a reducer, if it is 8V or 16V then it is just running off one or two batteries (not a good idea), if it is 48V then any horn you add will also need to be 48V.

My Precedent doesn't have a light kit so I'll leave it to someone who has to tell you which wires to use.

Good luck and welcome to BGW.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

Thank you yes I assume it has a reducer. This is a recent purchase light kit was installed by dealer I have not been able to locate reducer as yet.
As noted I am also trying to figure how to wire a 3 post headlight switch with LED indicator.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

The reducer is probably on the steel plate behind the front wheels (effectively behind the dashboard but get to it from under the cart).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Precedent_voltage_reducer_location.jpg (90.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car