lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Doc
Gone Wild

Default New (to me) '13 Precedent w/Mystery Past

Last week I picked up a very clean 2013 Precedent. The previous owner's brother was selling it for his brother who passed away. He knew NOTHING about the cart, much less on how to maintain the batteries. It had been unplugged since May of this year.
Anyway, I got it home, put my charger on it & it maxxed to 15 amps & stayed there. Charger got hot after a few hours so I unplugged it. I should say that I checked the pack voltage before I charged and it was 48.9.
I put a trickle charger on it for a few days because that Powerdrive was cooking. Brought the volts up a bit and then put a different Powerdrive charger on it. Pack voltage is now up to 54.0 . Do you think anything has been damaged by that 3 month stint of not being plugged in? The batts are 2016 Trojans....thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccpegged.jpg (102.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ccnormal.jpg (37.8 KB, 0 views)
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: New (to me) '13 Precedent w/Mystery Past

PD3s get hot. That's just how they work. And yes, most of the time you will see the needle peg over 15 amps when the charge starts. Not sure why they didn't just put a 20 amp gauge on the PD3s.
Cycle them a few times and they'll be fine. Trojans are hard to kill unless they get run dry or get run completely dead multiple times.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Last week I picked up a very clean 2013 Precedent. The previous owner's brother was selling it for his brother who passed away. He knew NOTHING about the cart, much less on how to maintain the batteries. It had been unplugged since May of this year.

Anyway, I got it home, put my charger on it & it maxxed to 15 amps & stayed there. Charger got hot after a few hours so I unplugged it. I should say that I checked the pack voltage before I charged and it was 48.9.

I put a trickle charger on it for a few days because that Powerdrive was cooking. Brought the volts up a bit and then put a different Powerdrive charger on it. Pack voltage is now up to 54.0 . Do you think anything has been damaged by that 3 month stint of not being plugged in? The batts are 2016 Trojans....thanks in advance!

Keep charging it. The charger will start to come down regardless of whether or not the OBC is working. It should get around 65v while charging before it cuts off.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Doc
Gone Wild

Quick follow-up...I put the original, 'hot running' charger back on the cart once I got the voltages back up. Pegged at about 15A (just like you guys said) but this time it slowly went back down and is now acting normal. One thing though...I would like to check the true, real world pack voltage. Do I do this right after I have it charged (removing charger of course) or do I charge it, run it a bit, THEN check the voltages? Thanks for all your help on this-this is going to be a fun build for me!
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Congrats on your new Precedent.

I think the process is to check voltage 24 hours after the charge completes.
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

The usual sequence is to charge it until it stops then disconnect the charger and leave it standing for at least 12 hrs, then check the voltage.

You say you have a float charger so if I were you, I would charge it with the PowerDrive then disconnect that and put the float charger on until you are ready to drive it again. Do that each time and it will help boost the batteries (it's important to use the PowerDrive first to get the chemicals stirred up with the higher power of that charger). For measuring the voltage though, disconnect everything and don't drive it for at least 12 hrs.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car