lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax XCT install pics.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tall-pics.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejax904 View Post
-snip-
A diode for the small posts wasnt provided....
You have to install one for the small posts that is a 3 amp suppression diode. Call scottyb to send you one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguysc View Post
I installed the red Diode wire that you can see from large post to large post.
You have to install one for the small posts that is a 3 amp suppression diode. David will send you one if you let him know. He put a post out last week in another thread to contact him.

Attachment 172895
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coil Diode Email.jpg (211.9 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nole- so do we need BOTH diodes? When this all came up a few months back about the various answers from Alltrax I installed the small one on the coil (small posts). Do we also need the one for the big posts, or only the small one?

The more I real all of the threads about it the more confusing it is since you have to pay attention to the timing of the post. Figured I’d finally just come out and ask.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
Nole- so do we need BOTH diodes? When this all came up a few months back about the various answers from Alltrax I installed the small one on the coil (small posts). Do we also need the one for the big posts, or only the small one?

The more I real all of the threads about it the more confusing it is since you have to pay attention to the timing of the post. Figured I’d finally just come out and ask.
And that is why I left this in the "Install Pic" thread so it helps others...

To answer your question - Yes, they are both needed - but let me explain a little more to help with "why".

(Coil Diode) The small posts are the connection to your energizing coil which closes in the contacts after the 48v Pos and Neg inputs are supplied. When the electrical field breaks/opens, energy is released and to protect it, there is a suppression diode required that absorbs this energy to prevent damage. That is why it is a must that the striped/banded end of the diode be installed on/and facing the same small post as the Positive Activation wire....

(Regen Diode) The large posts pass current through them when the energizing coil closes and pulls the contacts up. If the controller was to lose power while the regen circuit was active (which would take a switch/electrical failure or key being turned off), it could damage the controller. That is why it is a must that the striped/banded end of the regen diode be installed on/and facing the same large post as the Main Pack Pos battery cable....

All the Alltrax manuals and current revision "G" electrical drawing reflect them both in the correct orientation. (see attached)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XCT CLUBCAR IQ WIRE DIA.pdf (135.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
And that is why I left this in the "Install Pic" thread so it helps others...

To answer your question - Yes they are both needed- but let me explain a little more to help know "why".

(Coil Diode) The small posts are the connection to your energizing coil which closes in the contacts after the 48v Pos and Neg inputs are supplied. When the electrical field breaks/opens, energy is released and to protect it, there is a suppression diode required that absorbs this energy to prevent damage. That is why it is a must that the striped/banded end of the diode be installed on/and facing the same small post as the Positive Activation wire....

(Regen Diode) The large posts pass current through them when the energizing coil closes and pulls the contacts up. If the controller was to lose power while the regen circuit was active (which would take a switch/electrical failure or key being turned off), it could damage the controller. That is why it is a must that the striped/banded end of the regen diode be installed on/and facing the same large post as the Main Pack Pos battery cable....

All the Alltrax manuals and current revision G electrical drawing reflect them both in the correct orientation. (see attached)
Is the coil diode the yellow one in my pic that was previously on my cart? The red one on ground beneath yellow on is the one that cam with solenoid that is currently installed from large post to large post.

beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

No, that would be your Pre-Charge resistor that went between your 2 large posts and is not needed with the XCT line as they utilize the Run/Tow switch. The pic of the diode in the bag is your regen diode and it does need to be installed between the 2 large posts. The end with the red wire needs to be landed on the same large post that has the Main Pack Pos battery cable on it (because that is the striped/banded end) and the other end will land where the cable going to the controller is at. (The battery cable goes on first and is always on the bottom) If you bought the controller and solenoid from David, he will send you a diode, you just need to PM and email him (or Imessage him) as he is out to sea on a ship.....
Old 07-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
Courtlandjs
Gone Wild
Club Car

2015 precedent install
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180705_143918999.jpg (68.0 KB, 0 views)
Courtlandjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
jhanson999
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I installed no diodes or resistors going off scottyb's directions.

Regen diode is only needed on EzGo carts:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1457005

Coil diode and resistor are internal to XCT controllers and therefore not needed:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1374471

Am I understanding this incorrectly?
jhanson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanson999 View Post
-snip-
Am I understanding this incorrectly?
Please read the information above. You are referring to old information (4/17 & 12/17) that is not applicable anymore. Scottyb relayed to you what was told to him at the time. Since then, Alltrax has changed their position and are trying to make everything correct and uniform going forward. As stated and attached above, the print delineates the required diodes, both Regen and Coil Suppression, and that print is dated 4-17-18 Rev G and can be downloaded right form the Alltrax document center today. The drawing is also current with the owners/instruction manuals being sent out with controllers since that time.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #9
rib33024

Default Alltrax controller both diodes

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:38 AM   #10
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax controller both diodes

Good sticky!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car