lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default What cable is this and what guage should I buy?

Hey guys things are slowly coming together on my cart I'll do a little before and after, but now I'm working on the wiring. I put a picture of a cable that's cut coming from the forward and reverse switch.

Do you guys know what guage of cable I should buy and length wise? I'm not sure where it goes yet, gotta look at the diagram?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200211_094017.jpg (153.1 KB, 0 views)
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: What cable is this and what guage should I buy?

That one used to go to the charge receptacle. Someone probably ran a new one to the pack positive post. It can go to either place.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Viewing a closeup picture is like getting the 2 middle words from a 4 word headline.
You never really know what you are seeing but, there is part of the F&R showing and this wire appears to be connected to one of the smaller swivel terminals on the pivoting center section of the switch. IF that is the case it is not a charge cable but a high amperage cable... possibly a 6g. If this is the case a 4g replacement (if needed) would be nice.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

He said the one that's cut, so I assumed it's the ~10awg red one that's cut next to the zip tie. Looks like positive charge receptacle from here.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
He said the one that's cut, so I assumed it's the ~10awg red one that's cut next to the zip tie. Looks like positive charge receptacle from here.
Oops! Gotcha
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

So you guys think I may not even need to replace it?
Old 02-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

My current wiring everywhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200201_090653.jpg (220.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like that wire was replaced by the two long white wires coming out of the charge receptacle, also it looks like the fuse was removed as well so you probably want to get another one of those in there as well.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Good gravy that is a wreck in there...

That cut off red wire has been replaced by the white wire that goes to the charge receptacle. Like Jake said, there should be a fuse on that.
Looks like the white wire got caught up in the almost fire that took out the post on battery 3 which is the right center battery. That wire should not be looped across the top of the battery to begin with, but what I would do is shorten that and connect it to the positive bar (lower) on the FnR switch where the Red positive cable connects. This keeps the wire short, out of the way, and keeps it from getting corroded on top of the battery.

Battery cables all need to be replaced. The two posts that melted off of the center right battery did so because of corrosion or loose connection. Those cables are fried and will just cause problem or will melt again. That's a fire hazard next to a battery that can be emitting hydrogen gas. Recipe for disaster.

With low pressure water Rinse all the dirt and crud off the battery tops. Clean all of the battery posts with baking soda and water and a wire brush and remove all of the corrosion from the posts. They need to be 100% clean lead. no discoloration or corrosion on them.
New cables all around would be good, but at the very least you need to replace the ones on the batteries to avoid those burning out. When you get new cables installed coat the cable ends and posts with silicone grease, or battery terminal protector spray to keep corrosion off the posts.

Looking at the FnR switch in the pic there is some corrosion in there as well and that might be able to be disassembled and cleaned, but if there is any evidence of it melting it should be replaced.

Straighten up the other wiring and use some zip ties or wire loom to hold it out of the way.

There's a few small wires attached to batteries in the center of the pack that will be 12v supply to something. That causes imbalanced draw on the batteries and results in an out of balance pack and chronic undercharging of some batteries wile others get overcharged. Find out what they go to and use a 36-12v reducer to supply power to those. Or get rid of whatever accessories use those, if possible.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

i got this cart for 300 bucks, its been sitting for years so im just building it little by little. Thats just the picture before cleaning it up and taking out the old batteries. I am gonna be putting in new ones, and started the rewire already.

I got brand new solenoids from David, one of the forum reps. Im gonna replace those as well, and then ill work out wire by wire.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car