lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
anthonyjcworley
Not Yet Wild

Default Fried motor?

So I've got a ds club car with the ge motor i bought recently. and i was looking through diagrams of how the motor is wired because it will only go about 8mph. So i switched the blue(originally on f2), and orange wire that didn't do anything so i flipped them back and reverse works but forward kinda grinds for a split second then the solenoid kicks off and the motor stops till i let off the pedal and push again. I can pump it with the rear in the air and it will spin really fast. I could use some advice

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
anthonyjcworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Fried motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyjcworley View Post
So I've got a ds club car with the ge motor i bought recently. and i was looking through diagrams of how the motor is wired because it will only go about 8mph. ....
What year DS, 36v or 48v, series or sepex?
I'm new to golf carts, I've read that limp mode is around 7 mph and sometimes caused by a bad speed sensor on the motor.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
anthonyjcworley
Not Yet Wild

07 series i think with the flat speed sensor, I've narrowed it down to the controller or the f/r switch, i think i caused the problem arcing the motor connections....i can switch the connections on the controller and it'll run the motor in the forward without grinding till i try to flip the switch to reverse

Old 05-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

You've got a sepex cart. Make sure you put the tow/run switch in tow before messing with the wiring or you will blow that controller (if you've not already done so).
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
anthonyjcworley
Not Yet Wild

Yeah.... I've learned my lesson

Old 05-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

If you were going 8 mph that’s a classic sign of a failed speed sensor on a sepex cart. A new sensor would fix your problem, after confirming it was bad by testing it. And as others have said, always flip the run/tow switch to tow and disconnect a battery cable before doing any work to the cart.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you didn't use two wrenches when you swapped the connections at the motor you may have spun the connections. You may have to disassembly the motor to repair it.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
anthonyjcworley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
If you didn't use two wrenches when you swapped the connections at the motor you may have spun the connections. You may have to disassembly the motor to repair it.
The motor works fine i was able to switch the blue and orange at the controller and give me forward, flip them back and i get reverse. I tested the contacts on the f/r switch and it works fine. So I'm pretty sure i fried the polarity switch in the controller. I've got a navitas controller on the way and am gonna take a look at the curtis and see if i can rebuild it

Old 05-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #9
anthonyjcworley
Not Yet Wild

Just put a new navitas controller in and i love it now to tune it

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car