lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Solenoid or Controller

Good afternoon. I have been tinkering with my golf cart now for about a month. It is a 96 48v Club Car DS Series Solid State cart. I have upgraded tires, suspension, solenoid, motor, F&R switch, and batteries. Right now the cart goes forward and backwards but at low speed with no power.

I suspect the speed controller, which should have been delivered yesterday, but now will not come until tomorrow. While troubleshooting, I found a video online about testing the v-glide or potentiometer. I have attached pictures of how and what I was testing.

I believe I have a 5000-0k potentiometer. When I put the probes on the wires from the controller, with the ignition on and the F&R in Forward, I read 0 ohms. Once I push pedal about 1/4 of the way, it starts to read 4K and steps down to 0 again, at which point I have full continuity. Could this starting point of 0 be why the cart goes, but just slow and weak? Or does that simply explain why the cart used to kind of lag and then take off as I hit the pedal?

Like I said, I have a new controller coming tomorrow. But I wanted to make sure the v-glide doesn’t need replaced. At this point, the only thing left stock in the cart is the frame, OBC, v-glide, and the small amperage wiring. If it’s not the controller or v-glide, what else could it be???
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid or Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolassus View Post
.... Right now the cart goes forward and backwards but at low speed with no power. ....
Does it go about 7-8 mph?
Maybe it's in limp mode.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolassus View Post
Good afternoon. I have been tinkering with my golf cart now for about a month. It is a 96 48v Club Car DS Series Solid State cart. I have upgraded tires, suspension, solenoid, motor, F&R switch, and batteries. Right now the cart goes forward and backwards but at low speed with no power.

I suspect the speed controller, which should have been delivered yesterday, but now will not come until tomorrow. While troubleshooting, I found a video online about testing the v-glide or potentiometer. I have attached pictures of how and what I was testing.

I believe I have a 5000-0k potentiometer. When I put the probes on the wires from the controller, with the ignition on and the F&R in Forward, I read 0 ohms. Once I push pedal about 1/4 of the way, it starts to read 4K and steps down to 0 again, at which point I have full continuity. Could this starting point of 0 be why the cart goes, but just slow and weak? Or does that simply explain why the cart used to kind of lag and then take off as I hit the pedal?

Like I said, I have a new controller coming tomorrow. But I wanted to make sure the v-glide doesn’t need replaced. At this point, the only thing left stock in the cart is the frame, OBC, v-glide, and the small amperage wiring. If it’s not the controller or v-glide, what else could it be???
Does this one have the two solenoids? One with big coil wire on drivers side? If so, try moving the white wire from the drivers side of the coil (left) over to the right side of the coil wire..thus connecting directly to the other white wire.
(still new here but trying to help..maybe this does?)
Clarkwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No, it goes like 1-2mph with zero power. Won’t even make it up my slight grade of a drive way. There is only one solenoid in this cart. That solenoid is now a 400 amp solenoid. It passes every test I can find on the internet. It clicks very loud.

I did install a street legal lighting kit in the cart with a horn. It is wired to a 48v to 12v reducer. The first time I had any issues was shortly after I installed the lights. I checked all connections, don’t see anywhere where there could be a short or any issues with the wiring. So I doubt that did anything to cause my current situation.
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
96 club car ds trouble
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car